Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician
Experience:  28 yrs. experience as Ford ASE Master Technician. Accolades include being a 2005 Ford PTS Regional Finalist and 2006 ASE Ford National Technician.

2000 ford explorer xlt: machanic..the 4.0 v6 sohc engine..timing chain

i had my 2000 ford explorer xlt checked by a reliablr machanic it has the 4.0 v6 sohc engine.they said the noise the engine was making was from the timing chain but they said that it had three chains and that they could not fix the problem because they could not garrantee the job . they said it would be better to replace the engine. this engine has 134000 miles on it we have had this vehicle since 2001 and it has really been a good vehicle. can you explain to me more about this problem and what do you tkink we should do.this was my wifes car its paid for but we went and got her another newer exployer this one is a 2008.im driving the 2000 back and fourth to work. i put some lucas oil in it it quited it down a littl but not all of it. please tell me all you can.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Scott W. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name isXXXXX this is a common concern with the 4.0 sohc engine, replacing the chains and guides is the repair, the replacement of these chains requires the use of a cam holding set made for this engine, this engine does not utilize machined keyways for cam and crank alignment, therefore these tools are a must during reassembly for proper timing of the engine. You can buy timing chain kits at Napa, it will come with all the necessary components to do the job. The engine however will need to be removed to do the repair. It is roughly a 12-14 hour job. If you need specific repair instructions I can give this information, let me know if you are doing the repair, thanks Steve W
Scott W., Ford Technician
Experience: 28 yrs. experience as Ford ASE Master Technician. Accolades include being a 2005 Ford PTS Regional Finalist and 2006 ASE Ford National Technician.