Daryl
Daryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
Experience:  28 years experience, Master Mechanic
8994801

Ford F150 STX 4X4: Dash brake light on always, not ABS light.

Dash brake light on always, not ABS light. 2004 F150 4X4. I have replaced all 4 disk brakes pads, 4 rotors, two new calipers, new emergence brakes, new parking brake switch (twice), I replaced the master cylinder float switch new from Ford, then replaced the entire master cylinder with new float and switch. I have bled this system over 5 times with a liter of fluid through each caliper. The fluid coming out is as clear as the fluid going in, not a pin sized air bubble anywhere. All parking and three brake lights are working. Disconnected the battery several time to reset computer. The peddle is so high you just toe it and your in the steering wheel. If you have any suggestions please don't come back with you must have short because the only short I have is in patience. Thanks in advance.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Daryl replied 2 years ago.
I would start by checking the parking brake switch, if it is disconnected and the light goes off that is the problem, I was also wondering if you actually checked for a short or are just assuming there is not one? I have seen the wires from the float in the master cylinder short out before and cause that light to be on.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply,

The parking park switch can not be the issue. The light dose not go out with the switch unplugged. I have two of these trucks (good for me or not) so I switched the switches with the same results. The 04 light stayed on and the 05 was not on. I even bought a new switch from ford which didn't put the light out ether. The switch can be fully pressed in by hand so it is not contact with the em brake pedal. As I said the float level switch has been changed three times. The plug is good and sound and the wires appear clean and separated. Playing with all the wires and looms will not make the light blink.

What about the ABS box with the motor? I was told this would bleed through the wheel cylinder. Still stuck.
Expert:  Daryl replied 2 years ago.
If the brake is good and pedal is hard the problem is not bleeding, its most likely either the instrument cluster causing the problem or there is a wiring problem, I have not ever seen the ABS cause this without the ABS light being on as well. Here is what I would do if I were trying to fix this, check the 2 wires from the brake fluid level switch for a short to ground between pins 2 and 3 of C220a of the cluster. Also check the Light Green/Red (LG/RD) wire from the parking brake switch for a short to ground to pin 24 of C220a of the cluster.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello zzdaryl,

Sorry for the delay, I was called back to work and my first free day to continue with this problem is tomorrow Sunday.

I have more questions so let's start with the simplest. The LG/Red parking brake switch. With an ohm meter you want me to connect LG/Red to the C220a pin 24. The C220a, is that the plug at the end of the wiring harness (now not connected to anything)or part of the dash board? Should I connect the LG/Red wire to a body/battery ground and get 100% or something less?

If it is the wiring harness plug, assuming I can get it unplugged, is number one the top left and number 2 next to it on the right or the row below number one? Also, when looking at the plug ( I haven't seen it yet) would the locking thing be on the bottom or top.

I understand electronics I just need a little clarification.
Thanks for your patients.

Expert:  Daryl replied 2 years ago.

To ohm this so you are checking for a ground I would take the connector off the cluster and connect one terminal of your ohm meter to ground and the other to thhe pins described, there should not be and reading but if there is that can be causing the light to come on. Below is a pic of the connector

graphic

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
zzdaryl,

This morning (26F) I started my 04 F150 and the brake light went out. I let it run for 5 mins with the heater on and then use the em brake 12 times and the light reacted as it should. I have to use the brake to put it in gear but only toe the peddle a 1/2 in to put brake lights on. As soon as I touched the peddle with no pressure the cluster brake light came on. Also the low fuel message came on. I just put $20.00 in before I parked on Wed.

Next I tried to find the C220a connector. I couldn't reach it by following the loom as far as I could while reaching up under the dash. While I tried feeling for it with one hand I held a mirror with the other hand a saw the light blink once. With more wiggling of the loom as high as I could reach I was able to finally "put the light out". The fuel gage also reads 1/4 with no message.

So, while I haven't fixed the problem I know it's the connection to the cluster or a circuit board and not anything under the truck, the em switch or the level switch.

I have only one more question and then I will accept your answer in return for your help and time. I have details on how to disassemble the dash to remove the cluster. My question is if I remove the cluster and disconnect the C220a will that have a effect on the PATS if I reconnect all the original equipment?

Rick
Expert:  Daryl replied 2 years ago.

No removing the cluster and then replacing it will not affect the PATS system at all.

Daryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
Experience: 28 years experience, Master Mechanic