Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

2001 Ford Taurus: cyl..do to flush out my radiator..overflow tank

I have a 2001 Ford Taurus 3.0 L, 6 cyl. and wanted to know what I have to do to flush out my radiator? It doesn't have a cap where you can get direct access right to the radiator itself, but the cap is on the reserve/overflow tank instead where you add the extra fluid, when needed. It needs changed and I have never done this. Also how much antifreeze does it take to refill it? I don't know where the drain part on my radiator is? My radiator is completely enclosed in the front of my car and is not accessible.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Justanswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX X am here to try and assist your with your question.

You can install a flush kit in eaither heater hose to do so but it dosnt change all the fluid. The best way to do a complete flush is to have it professionaly changed with a flush machine. This method removes 100% of the old coolant and works much better. If you just wanting to do a drain and refill, then you have to remove the front splash shield under the car to acess the drain plug on the passenger side at the bottom of the radaitor.
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
Here is the splash shield.

graphic
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had a problem a week ago, with not having any heat and had my heatercore backflushed. It gave me just a little bit of heat, but I was told to then get some radiator flush and put it in with the antifreeze and drive it for about a week to see if it broke the rest of the gunk lose. It must have worked, because now I have full heat in my car. I was told after a week to drain all the antifreeze and the radiator flush that was added and to put all new antifreeze back in. Will the simple, drain and refill be ok to do, to accomplish this?
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
Yes, a drain and refile will work , but if you can afford it you would be much better off to have a complete flush done with a professional flush machine. If not, just do the drain and refile, you will need about a gallon and a half of 50/50 premixed coolant.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there a certain reason you suggest using 50/50 premixed instead of the 100 percent coolant that you have to use water with? I was told by my brother that he thought the 100 percent coolant was better to use and would last longer... Just wondering...? The more I know the better... Thank You.. :)
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.
You always use premixed so it has the correct effect. If you put in pure coolant it will boil just like pure water, coolant is designed to work mixed 50/50. Sorry to say your brother is wrong, no offense.
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK...Thank You for your help Ron. I didn't mean have pure coolant...lol. I meant to have it mixed down with water. I appreciate your help and can now accomplish this I believe... Thanks so much! Have a good evening! :)