Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician
Experience:  28 yrs. experience as Ford ASE Master Technician. Accolades include being a 2005 Ford PTS Regional Finalist and 2006 ASE Ford National Technician.

1996 ford f250: my temp gauge on the dash keeps going..gauge goes

Hi I have a 1996 ford f250 pick up 5.8 351 my problem is my temp gauge on the dash keeps going hot then cold hot then cold all the time there is no flexuation in the heat on fords it says normal tme gauge goes from R to L and L to R so some one told me to change the coolant temp sensor so I did. that did nothing for the problem what else can I do ? Thank you for any bodys Time any help I would be very greatful for. thanks. Kellie
Category: Ford
Expert:  Scott W. replied 4 years ago.
Hello my name isXXXXX if the cooling system is full, the most common concern we see for this is a defective thermostat, it could also be a water pump not flowing coolant properly or it could be getting combustion gas into the cooling sytem, this is not too common for this truck, I would try the thermostat first and see if the fluctuation is resolved, any more questions just ask, Thanks Steve W
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank You Steve I will try the thermosta first and hope that is it and go from there
Expert:  Scott W. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you, if you need anything further, just ask, Thanks Steve W