AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

96 ranger: 000 miles..rev..1 cyl..tps and egr and fuel press is 30 psi

i have a 96 ranger 2.3 5 speed with 230,000 miles it idles ok but if i rev it a few time's in neautral its like its running on 1 cyl,then after about 2 minites its back to normal.i have changed wires,coils,fpr.tested tps and egr and fuel press is 30 psi @ idle and about 20psi when i hit the gas?o,and i put a used iac,cant keep wasteing money.any help would be great
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 years ago.
Hello!

How does the engine run under acceleration in gear?

Is the check engine light on?

Are there any codes in the computer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it seem to run ok when im driving,maybe a slight miss,no check engine light and no codes
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 years ago.
So does it bog down or misfire when this happens?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it runs so bad when it happens if i hit the gas before it clears up it just dies out
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 years ago.
You could have a bad mass air flow sensor. Or the snorkel from the mass air flow sensor to the throttle body could be ripped. Both are very common and can cause you vehicle to loose power along with many other drive ability issues. First look for cracks or rips or anywhere air can enter the engine that is not accounted for by the mass air flow sensor. Next comes the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor. This is a very important sensor input to the computer. It uses a hot wire sensing element to measure the amount of air entering the engine. The MAF sensor then outputs an analog voltage signal to the PCM proportional to the intake air mass. The PCM calculates the required fuel injector pulse width in order to provide the desired air/fuel ratio. If the sensor is bad than this air/fuel ratio will be off causing severe performance issues. In extreme cases, I have seen these two problems cause a no start condition. This input can also be used in determining transmission Electronic Pressure Control, shift and torque converter clutch scheduling. The check engine light may even pop on if the sensor is bad, the snorkel is ripped or a tube has fallen off. This will result in a lean condition.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 years ago.
Wait.. did you say fuel pressure goes to 20 psi when you hit the gas pedal?

If this so this is your problem! CHances are you just got a weak fuel pump or a plugged fuel filter!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i didnt see any rips or cracks,is their a way i can test the maf before i go spend money on one of those,i just seen your last reply about the fuel pressure,yes it goes to about 20-22 psi when i hit the gas
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 years ago.
Yeah.. that is way too low! It should not go below 30 psi with the engine running especially under a load. I would replace your fuel pump and filter and you will be good to go!

I hope this helps! Please don't forget hit the green accept button so that I may get credit for the time that I have spent with you. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

I do hope you are as honest with me about your vehicle as I have been with you. If you have any further questions or if you need more assistance, just hit the reply button and we can continue our conversation. Please remember, even if you accept my answer now, you can still repost or respond back to this thread at any time you wish at no further cost and I will be more than happy to continue to work with you until you are happy.

In addition, please allow time between answers as I may be off line spending time with my family or assisting other customers. You can always request me by using the link through my profile page. Just Click on "AMEDEE" next to my picture and I will be sure to respond back in a timely manner.

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards

AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience: ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i was mistaken,i was useing a fuel gage that has a sending unit and 1 of the wires were loose the psi is ok,i just bought this truck so i dont know if was llike this before,if i let it warm up real good it seems to be ok....im still thinking that used iac valve i put on is bad because when its cold it still does it?????ive checked about everthing else,any thoughts??? thanks
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 years ago.
Ok.. if the engine still lacks power on acceleration and the fuel pressure is within specs, then the mass air flow sensor would be suspect. You can check this with a voltmeter or a scanner. However, a scanner is better because you can see the barometric pressure readings calculated by the mass air flow sensor. You cannot see this on a voltmeter.

Another thing would be to check for plugged exhaust or incorrect valve timing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
not to be rude but am i getting charged again 4 these answers
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 years ago.
NO worries. I would wonder the same thing myself if I were in your shoes. No.. you are not getting charged any more..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thankyou,it doesnt lack power,if its cold and i rev it up it a few times it runs like s--t 4 a minute then clears up..if i let it warm up it dosnt seem to do it.i check the maf sensor but all i have iis a dvom and it seem to be ok?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 2 years ago.
If this problem happens only when you rev it up, then it will not have anything to do with the iac motor or anything with the throttle body or anything else that has to do with the idle.

This usually is a lack of fuel. Especially when the engine is cold.. the engine needs a lot of fuel. IF the primary and secondary ignition checks out ok, I would strongly recommend to verify that fuel pressure is within specs and if the problem remains, replace the mass air flow sensor.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok thanks