Chris (aka- Moose), Ford Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Ford.

Changed the coil packs on a 1999 ford expedition. It is a 4.6 liter.

I changed the coil packs on a 1999 ford expedition. It is a 4.6 liter. When i changed the packs 5 7 3 piston was misfiring. Now 1 and 2 are miss firing. This is the second set of coil packs with the same miss fires.
What should i do next and does anyone have the diagram for the coil packs in case i have them plugged in wrong
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

I can answer part of the question now with the image below showing the firing and wire order.

graphic

Are you getting misfire codes like P0355 and P0357 or P0305 and P0307?

Is this a dead miss where the cylinders are not firing at all, or is it more subtle and only occurring sometimes?

I assume you have not disregarded the spark plugs as a cause and have new motorcraft plugs being used?

Have you ruled out fuel injector issues causing the misfires?

Any other codes that I need to know about?

Chris (aka- Moose), Ford Technician
Experience: 16 years experience with Ford.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The code is for miss fire on Cylinder 1 and 2. Before I changed the coils Cylinders 5 7 3 showed misfires. Now its 1 and 2. So I dont think it is the injectors. i have not changed out the plugs. the miss is very noticable at slower speeds and at start from stop. At driving speeds it is not very noticable.

Now all I need to know is the exact code numbers, since there are 2 misfire codes for each cylinder?

You are going to have to address the spark plugs which always should be changed first when you have a misfire concern ignition related.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The code is for miss fire on Cylinder 1 and 2. Before I changed the coils Cylinders 5 7 3 showed misfires. Now its 1 and 2. So I dont think it is the injectors. i have not changed out the plugs. the miss is very noticable at slower speeds and at start from stop. At driving speeds it is not very noticable. and yes the codes are as you have. Also I am getting a code on exhaust recirculation
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If I remember the codes it is po305 and po307 I am not sure I used the one at advanced I know the codes were like these not 357

Ok that helps, that means you do not have codes that the computer is saying are ignition coil related but spark plug related. So you need to replace the plug wires and spark plugs. OEM plugs are a must and just a good brand wires are needed. Then I need to know the results.

On the EGR code, if it is 0401 then it can also cause a misfire. If its that code then you need to replace the DPFE sensor and remove the EGR valve and run a pipe cleaner and some brake cleaner down the ports in the throttle body spacer.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay where is the DPFE sensor and the egr valve
and what is the throttle body spacer
i really appreciate your help I cant afford a shop visit now
Should I change all of the plugs and wires or just the two that are bad?
Do you have any suggestions on how to get to the back plugs.
I really appreciate your help.

I will get you the correct codes tomorrow. God Bless You and Merry Christmas

I would replace all the plugs and wires, it is a 99 so its old enough to need them and anytime there has been a misfire the plugs do become damaged.

See the images below.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here