snapontech, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  2 Year Automotive Degree 2 years hands on technical training and 7 Years hands on learned from the best.

Ford Escape XLT: Having engine problems with my 05 Ford Escape

Customer Question

Having engine problems with my 05 Ford Escape XLT/S. Sounds like it’s not firing on all 6 cylinders. I replaced spark plugs at 98,000 miles. It is now at 100,000. However, the performance has decreased. Irregular idling and severe loss of power. I checked all the plugs and it appeared that #2 cylinder spark plug was burned. I replaced the spark plug and replace #1,2,3, spark plug coils. No resolve of the problem. Diagostic test report low or no firing of #1,3,4,5,6 cylinder.

I’m thinking it’s a wiring issue/ electrical. What else can I try to fix the problem? Could the problem be in the timing chain? Any historical problems with this engine?

Kevin Ziegler, Colorado Springs
Category: Ford
Expert:  snapontech replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to Justanswer, My name isXXXXX am here to help.

Do you have a theft light on the dash?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No theft Light. Just the check engine light.
You have to replace all the coils with OEM quality ones from ford or online and use the denso plugs which you can also get online or from ford.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok, Spark plugs are Auto Lite double platinum. Putting in ALL new coils (OEM) doesn't make sense. What would changing them all do? All of them checked out OK when I put them on an Ohms meter. I only replaced #1,2,3 because I am tired of have to take off the valve cover to get to the back side of the engine. What the next step if all the coils are replaced?

Good you told me the problem are those double platinum plugs they will not work properly on this vehicle. AGDF-32M are the plugs that need to be used gap is 0.052-0.056 in Get the right plugs and this will solve the problem.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, Doesn't make sense to me why these type of plugs won't work. What if the problem continues after I replace the plugs?
If you still have problems after replacing the plugs than we need to check the crank and cam sensors there could be a issue here than check the injectors to ensure proper operation. Check compression on the cylinders to ensure its not timing or mechanical.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK. Thanks for the help. Kevin Ziegler
Your very welcome trust me here they dont like these plugs, I want to get this fixed without you spending way to much money replacing parts not needed. You can come back after plugs are changed and I will walk you through everything after. If its needed. The gap is really important as well make sure all plugs have spark coming from the coils. Than have them check the codes again I would suspect another code other than the P300s which are just misfiring if its another issue. Thanks

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posted in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the news is not what we want it to be and can be expensive and disapponting, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at beginning your question with “Snapontech"

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Danny, Who makes the AGDF-32M plugs? And where can I get them?
Sorry typo AGSF-32M Motorcraft is the brand you can get from the dealer or ebay CLICK HERE