david
david, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Certified Master Technician,Certified in diesel & gasoline engines
533087

2008 f250 super duty: cranks..wont start..Wrench light..headlights

Customer Question

2008 f250 super duty cranks but won't start. Nozzles don't spray gas eventhogh gas goes through nozzles. Wrench light is on, headlights come on briefly on battery relacement
Category: Ford
Expert:  david replied 5 years ago.

david :

Hi thank you for your question I can help.

Just so we are on the same page the ford 6.4 is diesel not gas.

Are you saying the fuel is getting to the injector but not spraying throw them, Is this all the injectors or just one?

The wrench light is telling you there is a code stored in the computer. This code will help pin point the problem. Can you get me the trouble code numbers?

Was cleaning the injectors and turbo to fix this problem, Or was there another problem?

FYI
The power stroke diesel engine can be hard if any of the fuel system parts were removed. This is do to air getting into the system.

This is a lot of info to look over so let me know what you find.

JACUSTOMER-oy0hgyyo- :

Diesel. Replaced bad turbo ( it had oil in it ) and was backing smoke into engine.

JACUSTOMER-oy0hgyyo- :

Truck is diesel

JACUSTOMER-oy0hgyyo- :

injectors were removed for cleaning. Gas is coming out of each injector but not spraying as they should. Vehicle will crank but won't start. Vehicle is in Africa. Don't know the code.. After changing turbo, vehicle started and drove for 12 miles ( didn't hear the turbo whistle i.e wasn't pulling well) . Stopped vehicle, tried to restart to no avail. Not sure what's going on. BTW, cleaning exhaust filter stays on all the time.

JACUSTOMER-oy0hgyyo- :

I mistakenly hit the accept button rather than reply.

david :

First you have not accepted if you did it was fixed so now you have not..

OK with all the injectors not spraying fuel it is pointing to bad injection pump.

Can you test the fuel pressure coming out of the injection pump? the injection pump is what builds the pressure the injectors need to spray.

It is also possible the injectors were damaged at the cleaners. Are you sure the injectors were installed right?

JACUSTOMER-oy0hgyyo- :

injectors were clogged prior to cleaning them. Could the injector pump be the problem? Could it be a computer issue. When I replaced the batteries, the headlight flashed even without starting the engine. When I crank the engine, the headlight flashes. Don't know what's causing this.

JACUSTOMER-oy0hgyyo- :

Injectors are good.

david :

Hi yes this could be a injector pump and or the computer.

This is why you need to have a fuel pressure test done on to injection pump. This will tell you if the pump is working as it should.

Some questions to help me get my head around this.
Was the Injection pump removed at all?
Is the check engine light on when turn the key to the on position? When you crank the engine dose the check engine light go out?

david :

As for the head lights flashing this could be a bad connection or a bad light switch.

JACUSTOMER-oy0hgyyo- :

the injector pump wasn't removed. Check engine light is on always even when the vehicle was running. Also cleaning exhaust system msg is always on. Can the alarm stop the vehicle from starting eventhough it cranks and headlight flashes once?

david :

OK we need to know why the engine light is on. Can you pull the trouble codes from the computer? If you get me these codes I can help.

To rule out the exhaust being blocked up you can remove the exhaust pipe just before the filter.

Let me know.

JACUSTOMER-oy0hgyyo- :

Error codes from vehicle

JACUSTOMER-oy0hgyyo- :

p0101
p0671
po675
p0673
p0697
p0472
p179a
p0113
p0193
p0672