Randall C
Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  35 years ASE Master Tech, Diagnostic , Electrical Specialist
13677702

2001 expedition: clicking noise when I turn the ignition..jump start.

Customer Question

My 2001 Expedition won't start. It makes a clicking noise when I turn the ignition. It will jump start.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
Hello, My name is Randall. I will do my best to assist you.

So I understand, you hear only clicking when turn key but.. WILL jump start and run? What happens when you shut down? back to clicking?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It won't start again. Yesterday I ran all over town after jump starting it and after I turned it off, it would start again. Same clicking sound
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
Are we dealing with 100% good battery? are you sure when this happens the headlights are good and braight, wipers work, blower works and headlights dont dim when you try to crank?

Also, is the clicking fairly pronounced sound or very faint clicking and from under hood?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I bought a new battery in the spring. The lights and everything work. The clicking sound is fairly loud and it is inside the vehicle
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
the odd thing is it will start with a jump. That leads to only one of 2 problems. You either have a battery terminal that is not making good contact Or the starter is going bad and drawing too high of amps. By jumping? you are hooking the battery cable ends to do so and this puts direct current to starter kind of bypassing the battery so.. a termin al end can do this OR the extra amps by jumping it are allowing the starter to work but starter does not get enough amps to crank without jump. I would remove the battery terminals, wiggle, clean, retighten etc to be 100% they are not the cause. If they check out, battery is good, holds strong charge, then have to lean to failing starter. be advised, even new batteries can go bad and starters draw very high amps so things like lights and ll witll most time work but soon as you turn to crank, , just not enough amps to turn starter so my answe to you is based on a 100% good battery. Hope this makes sense