Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist

Ford Escape XLS: I have a 2012 Ford Escape, that is not equipped

I have a 2012 Ford Escape, that is not equipped with the Sirius satellite capability. I am trying to get my own satellite capability; Sirius told me I needed to get the radio's ESN number. They gave my two sets of instructions, for the two types on radios Ford uses on the Escape. I was not able to get the radio to show an ESN number. Any idea how to find the radio's ESN number? Does Sirius market conversion/add-on devices for radio not Sirius ready?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thanks for your question.

The audio control module needs to be programmed (configured) for satellite operation before the ESN can be retrieved. This can only be performed at the dealer using the Ford IDS scanner. If the vehicle is not equipped with navigation then it will also need to have a satellite antenna and coax installed before it will work.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sirius guy said they have a device (free because I already subscribe) which "plugs in" and adds Sirius to the radio. Includes some kind of antenna. This sounds similar to the device they sold me so I could add it onto my home stereo. Ford after market person said they could add Sirius for $800!!! Not sure who to believe. Sirius guy wants ESN. You say only Ford can provide ESN. For how much? Will Ford tell me the ESN without my using their $800 deal?
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 4 years ago.
They should not charge more than 1 hour of labor to configure the ACM for satellite.
After that you should be able to retrieve ESN yourself.