chris
chris, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master -Ford senior master-20 years experience
9504203

1996 ford explorer: a hole behind the glove box..blend door..removing

Customer Question

Can you drill a hole behind the glove box and move the blend door to heat in a 1996 ford exploer, with out removing all the dash
Category: Ford
Expert:  chris replied 5 years ago.

hi there

-

there is two common problems with the blend door system , the electric motor that moves the door behind the glove box door goes bad ,and needs to be replaced ,,and the other thing is that the door that the motor moves brakes ,, in order to see if the door is broken you have to remove the blend door motor ,,, but lets see if the blend door motor is working first ,

with the truck on , turn the heater on ,, and move the temp control knob from hot to cold, back and forth ,,and there is a shaft comeing out of the blend door motor that moves 1/4 turn , use a flash light and see if the shaft on the motor is moving ,,

tell me what you find

Chris

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can you see this door with out removing the dash
Expert:  chris replied 5 years ago.

yes you can see the to of the door , if you remove the blend door motor , the blend door motor has a shaft on it that goes into a hole in the plenum case, inside this hole is the door and its the spot ware it brakes, after the motor is remove you can use a mirror and a flash light to see if its broken ,, if its broken ,, there is a way to fix it that someone came up with that may be up your ally ,, it will not cost you a dime,, let me see if I can find that info again on how to do it

Chris

Expert:  chris replied 5 years ago.

check this link out ,, you drill a hole in the blend door motor arm and put a pin in it and put the motor back into place and it should work

http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/idx/12/085/article/Ford_Explorer_Blend_Door_Fix.html

Expert:  chris replied 5 years ago.

here is some better pics of the blend door motor and the hole that the motor goes into

http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/Summer2009/blend-door.htm