Bamaman39
Bamaman39, Ford Technician
Experience:  10 years ford experience, Ford Senior Master Diesel And Gasoline Tech

Ford Edge Limited: How many people are having computer problems

Customer Question

How many people are having computer problems with their Ford EDGE?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Bamaman39 replied 2 years ago.

Bamaman39 :

Thank you for using just answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX i will assist you today.

Customer :

Please let me about any problems with the Ford EDGE computer and/or the my -touch systems.

Bamaman39 :

what kind of computer issues are you referring to?

Bamaman39 :

is your screen blank?

Customer :

There are a number of problems like losing the entire screen,gps problems,mpg calculations,cruise control problems,losing the back up screen while backing up, etc.etc.etc.

Bamaman39 :

yes the my touch does have a issue but they is a fix for it

Bamaman39 :

Some of them a reprogram can fix it and others the card goes bad and has to be replaced. After the card replacement everything works great

Bamaman39 :

We have done about 15 in the last 4 months

Bamaman39 :

This is only with the my touch screens

Bamaman39 :

Are you still here?

Customer :

Yes

Bamaman39 :

What year is your edge?

Customer :

2011, How do I get a copy of this info?

Bamaman39 :

Ill switch this live chat to a email chat so you can copy it

Customer :

I find this limited response suprising because there are a number of people locally with a number of problems.

Bamaman39 :

yes i understand

Bamaman39 :

I work in a small ford dealer

Bamaman39 :

We had a problem to start with figuring this out but once we did its a easy fix

Bamaman39 :

The APIM goes out causing a blank screen

Customer :

Is this the best answer I willget?

Bamaman39 :

Its the correct answer. There is only 2 fixes for your problem

Bamaman39 :

I would be happy to help you further

Bamaman39 :

The dealer has the updated software in the ford computer to update the APIM

Bamaman39 :

If the update does not work the APIM must be replaced with a redesigned one

Bamaman39 :

This can take a couple of hours to do

Bamaman39 :

They are having this problem with all the my touch screens in the Edge,Explorer, Lincoln

Customer :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX is that the dealership does try to do a good job to fix these problems but some do reappear. It seems that they use an updated program to reboot the computer and it does run O.K. for a while. I have been told that a new program will be coming out, but I can't get an actual date.

Bamaman39 :

Hmm so your screen goes blank then they reprogram it and it came back. How many times has this happened to you

Bamaman39 :

I know it works 1 to 2 times

Customer :

How do I get a copy of this answer from you?

Bamaman39 :

After you are happy with my answer i will change this live chat to a email one and ill write you o it will appear. To be safe you can Highlight this conversation and copy it. Then paste it on word pad

Bamaman39 :

But you can come back to this same question if you have further questions with this problem

Customer :

I have had these problems for over a year now and some problems have come up again. There are two problems that are safety related and the answer that I have been receiving from Ford is they are getting a new update to correct this soon!!!It may be O.K. for some to be getting periodic updates to correct this but I'm beginning to wonder why these cars were sold to us before they were checked out. Please give me a copy of this and I will let you move on to a new questions. Thank you very much. Pete

Bamaman39 :

I will change this chat form now. Please tell your dealer to change the APIM. Sounds like there is a issue there. I really understand that this is a safety issue. I would be upset as well. The program works sometimes but it sounds like its just patching your problem. Thank you for using Justanswer. If you are happy with my answer please click the accept buttom as this is the only way i get paid for my work. Thank you very much

Expert:  Bamaman39 replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Bamaman39 replied 2 years ago.

You should be able to read everything we talked about. Please let me know if you need any further help and please don't forget to click accept. Thanks

Expert:  Bamaman39 replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if you get this
Expert:  Bamaman39 replied 2 years ago.
Please dont forget to hit the accept buttons as this is the ony way i get paid. Thank you