davehop
davehop, Ford Technician
Experience:  Fully certified in all phases of automotive repair as recognized and certified by Ford Motor Company
14289869

Ford E3500: 2005 e3500 gas 8 cylinder extended with transmission

Customer Question

2005 e3500 gas 8 cylinder extended with transmission cooler 170,000 miles. Tonight while going 50 mph we heard a noise and the transmission is not driving the car after 2nd gear. It will go in reverse and drive like normal smooth but after about 30 mph the transmission disengages. If you put the shifter into 2nd we go again. This van has had complete service every 50,000. The transmission has never had a bad shift. Never pulled a trailer. Is overkill for the blind and drapery business. What do you think? Is Ford really the best place to bring it? Do they fix just what’s wrong or is it the big fix. How much should it cost?
Category: Ford
Expert:  davehop replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JA, the best thing to do is have the system scanned for trouble codes, it sounds like one of the shift solenoids has failed, and is causing the problem, and it may have set a code...you can have the system scanned at Advance Auto, or Pep Boys for free, and then let me know if there are any codes...we can continue on from there, and if there are no codes, then we will go down a different path in our diagnosis, but the first thing to do is have it scanned for codes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok I will get this done. Tomorrow I have to drive it loaded to the ceiling to a booked job about 60 miles round trip and will be there all day. How fast can I go in 2nd without doing any damage or should I rent a van and bite the bullet.
Expert:  davehop replied 2 years ago.
I wouldn't use it til we figure out what is wrong...driving it can turn a $50 dollar repair into a $2500 dollar repair very quickly.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They said there wasn't any trouble codes and took it for a drive. They said third gear is gone and I need a new transmission. I called Sayville Ford and talked with them and they agreed. Do I really have a choice?
Expert:  davehop replied 2 years ago.
ok, if there are no trouble codes, and you are missing 3rd gear, the most likely cause is that the intermediate clutch is not applying...usually there will be no code associated with this symptom...the trans needs to be disassembled and inspected for other damage...but may not need to be replaced unless the cost of repair exceeds replacement of the unit. Most dealers will sell you a reman unit , so you will have a 3 year/100k mile warranty on it..this is more a benefit to the customer than the dealer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't feel your answer was helpful. The steps taken were steps I would of taken with or without your answer. I would agree to 1/2 the amount requested only because you did answer quickly and did spend a few minutes of your time. Your answers were not helpful. The fact is I would of brought it to the dealer. They would of scanned it, taken it for a test drive and the same result a new transmission. I will give you a good review. In this instant your money is just getting added to my large bill. If you go back and review you didn't answer all my questions.

Lenny
Expert:  davehop replied 2 years ago.
I answered your question, if you choose to accept then fine, if not, ...............If you have any parts of my answer that did not relate to your concern, please feel free to elaborate so I can better explain...