snapontech
snapontech, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  2 Year Automotive Degree 2 years hands on technical training and 7 Years hands on learned from the best.
49697172

Ford Windstar: 2002 Ford Windstar.....battery is good, starter

Customer Question

2002 Ford Windstar.....battery is good, starter is good, all fuses and relays good. It will not crank. I put the battery charger on it set at 200amp boost and it cranks. I have fuel pressure but no spark. Any ideas?
Category: Ford
Expert:  snapontech replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to Justanswer, My name isXXXXX am here to help.

How was the battery tested I need to know the CCA and the CCA capacity of the battery Its pretty cut and dry here I deal with this all the time so its very easy for me to answer this for you but since you have checked the things that will cause this than you will not like my answer. The problem is either the battery the connections or the starter pulling to many amps. You need to have the battery load tested even if its brand new if this battery is dropping because it has a bad cell you will never know. I see this try to trick people all the time. You will want to get the volt meter turn the engine over if the voltage drops down below 11 its no good replace the battery if the new battery does the same replace the starter. If the voltage is dropping this large amount you have to put it on boost 200amps than its either those 2 items or a open in the ignition. If its dropping enough voltage you will not get spark. So lets start by fully checking this over again. If they still show to be good there is something dropping the voltage when your trying to turn the vehicle over if it drops enough it will not allow the ignition system to produce spark. After all of this I would check the system for any trouble codes by getting a OBDII scan tool 100 bucks at walmart or free from autozone but you have to drive the vehicle there. This is where I would be starting on the issue here all the connections need to be in good condition tight and no corrosion could have a bad wire causing high amps to be drawn by the starter and the voltmeter will tell you while turning it over. Thanks

Danny
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The battery is a 750cca. New battery. Charged and voltage drop tested it. The data port will not connect. Checked the fuse and it is good. The volt meter shows no change with the key in the crank position. Ran a continuity test on wiring to starter and it shows good.....possible ignition switch?
Thats what its looking like thats what I meant by lgnition above. I just wanted to make sure we were not missing something here. I would suspect the ignition switch which will also cause the no spark when shorted out. Thanks

Danny
snapontech, Auto Mechanic
Experience: 2 Year Automotive Degree 2 years hands on technical training and 7 Years hands on learned from the best.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
not the switch.
What does the voltage drop to when you try to start because you state it will turn over if you put a 200 amp jump on the vehicle. I am starting to think the engine maybe hard to turn over for this starter.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I can use my power probe directly on the starter and it turns over fine. I can not get a correct reading on a voltage drop due to the fact i must have the battery charger on 200amp/start.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Expert:  dghardysr replied 3 years ago.
you mentioned you tested the battery cables and they tested good, did you remove the negative battery from the engine block or vehicle frame and make sure it is very clean where it connects. A bad ground is what it sounds like to me. There are numerous grounds on a vehicle and one bad connection on any of them can cause a lot of headaches. Hope this helps
Expert:  dghardysr replied 3 years ago.

sorry, you tested the wiring to the starter, Check continuity on each battery cable and any other ground you can find.