A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance

2003 ford taurus: spark plugs and cables..misfires..whats wrong

I replace spark plugs and cables on 2003 ford taurus 3.0 v6 duratec engine and when start up car it turns off and misfires i do not know whats wrong with it there was nothing wrong wiht it , just did it fot maintenence can some one please tell me what to do, thank you
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.I will try my best to help you with your question.

Did you remove the upper intake manifold to replace the spark plugs in the back of the engine?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes I did removed the intake manifold to many times

First make sure you have the coils in the proper order. On the front valve cover near the radiator, make sure the last to coils are in the the proper holes. They can easily be connected up wrong. Also check the last 2 on the back valve cover. The same goes for them.

Swap the last 2 coils on the front valve cover, the ones closest to the transmission. Leave them plugged in when swapping the coils.

The start the engine and see if the engine smooths out.

Also, if you have a code reader, or access to one, check and see if there are any miss fire codes in the ECU (Engine Computer).

Double check the vacuum lines to the upper intake manifold. Also make sure the gaskets are seated properly. They should be replaced if you remove the upper intake though.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I DONT HAVE A CODE READER, AND WHEN REPLACED SPARK PLUGS AND CABLES I DID 0NE AT A TIME SO THERE IS NO WAY I , SWAPED THEM

Ok. I have seen it done and also done it myself. Just going over every possibility.

Did the vehicle run rough before you replaced the plugs?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
NO THE CAR WAS NOT RUNNING ROUGH AT ALL BEFORE .

Can you drive the vehicle, at least to an auto parts store? They can access any codes in your vehicle for free.

Also, double check the plug wires.

Below is how the coil is numbered.

graphic

graphic

Experience: ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance