Ironmike, Ford Technician
Experience:  30 years ASE Master tech L1 . Ford master

2002 F150: I replaced heater core..leaking..temperature gauge..warmed

Customer Question

I replaced heater core on 2002 F150 5.4 Supercrew because it was leaking. The heater only blows lukewarm. The temperature gauge reads normal when truck is warmed up.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ironmike replied 4 years ago.

Lets make sure both hoses are hot going to the heater core. Next lets listen and or see if the blend air actuator is moving. Not easy to get to since it is on top and next to the heater core. Sometimes the actuator fails and sometimes the blend door breaks.

let me know what you find

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Does the dash have to come out to check actuator? When in "max heat" mode, should blend door be up close to core or away from core?
Expert:  Ironmike replied 4 years ago.
We should first make sure the thermostat is not stuck open. It would have to be removed for this. I was thinking of the new f-150 on location of the blend door actuator. The dash would have to come out for the door but you can get the actuator without removing. It is located behind the lower floor duct vents in the center of the dash.I was thinking of the newer models up top The RCM or airbag module would have to come out. I would disconnect the battery first and wait 10 minutes for the system to power down. The lower support brackets and the air ducts have to moved also. I am looking for some pictures.
Expert:  Ironmike replied 4 years ago.

Expert:  Ironmike replied 4 years ago.

I would listen as the temp is switched back and forth from hot to cold for the actuator. Sometimes they make a clicking noise when they fail. Make sure when the actuator is out the door is ok, they break where the motor drives them sometimes.