snapontech
snapontech, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  2 Year Automotive Degree 2 years hands on technical training and 7 Years hands on learned from the best.
49697172

1997 ford explorer: Ran fine..wont start..the fuel pump when the key

1997 ford explorer. Ran fine yesterday, won't start this morning. Don't think I can hear the fuel pump when the key is on but cant say if i really ever do (never payed attention).

davehop :

Hello and welcome to JA, which engine does your explorer have, the 4.0L OHV or the 4.0L SOHC?

Customer:

How to tell

Welcome to Justanswer, My name isXXXXX am here to help.

Do you still need help?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes. 1997 ford explorer. Ran fine yesterday, won't start this morning. Don't think I can hear the fuel pump when the key is on but cant say if i really ever do (never payed attention). Dave asked which 4.0 engine i have. The 8th digit in the vin is an X. (SOHC OHV?)
Ok if the fuel pump is not running than you will want to verify there is no fuel pressure. These fords love to do it this way I have seen so many working perfect next day nothing its like the way the fuel pumps fail on this vehicle. Your looking at 428.00 and 2 hours of labor but if you get one from napa it will be less this is the pricing if you take it to the dealer. If you can do the work your self it will save you on the 2 hours. CLICK HERE . You will need to replace the fuel pump since it failed. Thanks

Danny
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
wanted to make sure the relay or the fuse was good .don't know where they are in the fuse box. would like to know that just in case. at least the fuse if it has one
No problem, all you need to do is check power on both sides of the inertia switch if this has power than its the pump side coming from relay is dark green/yellow should have 12v than the other side which goes to the fuel pump is pink/black if both have 12v than the problem is the fuel pump itself failing. FUSE 3 20 AMP in the power distrubution box under the hood is the fuse for this circuit. CLICK HERE FOR INERTIA LOCATION Thanks

Danny
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is the inertia switch acessed in the cab on the passenger side
Yes open the passenger door and pop the kick panel off it will be right there you cant miss it.

Danny
snapontech, Auto Mechanic
Experience: 2 Year Automotive Degree 2 years hands on technical training and 7 Years hands on learned from the best.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanx Danny. i think that covers it. excellent. no need to respond im going to accept.
Your very welcome!