Bamaman39
Bamaman39, Ford Technician
Experience:  10 years ford experience, Ford Senior Master Diesel And Gasoline Tech
17239397

How do I remove the EGR valve from a 6.4 L diesel

how do I remove the EGR valve from a 6.4 L diesel
Category: Ford
Expert:  Bamaman39 replied 2 years ago.

Bamaman39 :

Thank you for using just answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX i will assist you today.

Bamaman39 :

Hello

Bamaman39 :

How are you.

Customer:

good

Bamaman39 :

Have you tried to remove the egr valve ?

Customer:

I tried to remove an egr valve and the top half broke off

Bamaman39 :

ok

Bamaman39 :

do you have a air hammer?

Customer:

no

Customer:

can it be pulled out by the ring protruding from the top

Bamaman39 :

it wil be hard

Customer:

so how can i remove it

Bamaman39 :

They make a tool for this but you have broken the top so it will not help

Bamaman39 :

This is your best option

Bamaman39 :

You need a air hammer or a hammer and pry bar

Customer:

what do i pry on

Bamaman39 :

let me try to get you a pic

Customer:

ok

Bamaman39 :

How much of the top is broken off?

Bamaman39 :

Just the plastic part?

Customer:

no some of the aluminum too

Bamaman39 :

Since you dont have a air hammer do you have vice grips and a slide hammer?

Customer:

yes

Bamaman39 :

The best way is top yank it out with the slide hammer. The egr goes deep into the housing and its a tight fit

Bamaman39 :

Then you may have to break some off at a time to get it all out

Customer:

there is almost nothing to grab onto

Customer:

we do have an air hammer

Bamaman39 :

So the valve is almost flush with the housing?

Customer:

yes

Bamaman39 :

Thats not good

Bamaman39 :

Is the internal parts still there or gone aswell?

Customer:

the internal parts are still in and most of the aluminum top is still there

Bamaman39 :

Is there any of the top left that the slide hammer can attach to?

Customer:

not much to grip to

Customer:

most of the top is still there

Bamaman39 :

let me think for a min

Bamaman39 :

I would try to remove it with the slide hammer on the internal parts

Customer:

ok will try

Customer:

thanx

Bamaman39 :

The thing is that it has to come straight out

Bamaman39 :

So some pliers may be needed as well

Customer:

can we remove the housing the valve is in for better access

Customer:

hello anyone there?

Bamaman39 :

yes

Bamaman39 :

you can remove it. The valve will be hard to remove

Customer:

okay

Bamaman39 :

If you would have not have started without me i could have showed you a great way. But i understand how it goes

Customer:

did not know about you we are on a small island and have to do all maintenance ourselves

Bamaman39 :

Oh its ok. The hard thing now is to get the outside part of the egr valve out the housing without messing up the housing

Customer:

yes

Bamaman39 :

Maybe you can find a opening on the inside valve to put the slide hammer with hook in it

Bamaman39 :

Worse case is try to pry one side to the middle and destroy the valve as u go. It wil be hard but its kinda your only shot now

Customer:

better solution: replace housing and valve

Customer:

350 dollars

Bamaman39 :

one probem

Customer:

damaged housing a little so ordered new one

Bamaman39 :

thats the intakee

Bamaman39 :

as long as the other egr seas its ok

Bamaman39 :

seals

Bamaman39 :

good luck

Customer:

thanx

Bamaman39 :

and if you replace the housing and all thats a good price

Bamaman39 :

i wish i could have helped more. If you accept answer i would appreciate it but if not i undersatnd as i didnt help as much as i liked

Bamaman39, Ford Technician
Experience: 10 years ford experience, Ford Senior Master Diesel And Gasoline Tech