Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

Ford Escape XLT: I have changed my egr valve and my dpfe sensor

I have changed my egr valve and my dpfe sensor and my 2001 ford escape still won't start. If you push on the gas while starting it, it will start but as soon as you take your foot off the gas it will die. If we hit on the egr valve with a screwdriver and then try to start it, it will start and idle correctly. What could be wrong?
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 years ago.

Is the check engine light on with the key on?

Are there any codes in the computer?

Does the TPS have 5 volts with the key on?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

if the key is turn to on but not started yes it , if you get the car started then no it is not.

There were codes from the computer before when the check engine light was on and it always read the egr sensors. All were changed.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 years ago.
Ok.. can you get it to act up so we can run a few tests?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What kind of tests are you wanting to try. We have tried a few already. O and the other thing it does is when you try to start it over and over gas spits out the tailpipe.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 years ago.
I will be honest with you.. From what your telling me,It sounds like you just have a bad EGR valve. If the engine starts no problem after tapping on the EGR valve, chances are the EGR valve is just sticking open. It just closes when you tap on the EGR valve and your vehicle starts..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
exactly what we thought too so we ordered a new egr valve and just replaced it today. It was free because it was under warranty. We had just changed it back in May because my check engine light came on and that was the reason the computer said. to me it sounds like something is clogged but I have no idea where to even start. The hose to the egr valve has pressure because when I get it started I can feel the vaccum coming from the hose when I take it off the egr.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 years ago.
So your saying that the EGR valve was replaced and this same problem continues?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes and the dpfe sensor was just changed a week ago.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 years ago.
Ok.. then we will need to check for spark and fuel when the engine is not starting. Sometimes the DPFE sensor can short out and cause a no start condition. However, if you have replaced it already, then we would need to run the basic tests and check spark and fuel when cranking the engine over when it does not start.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Does that mean taking the spark plug out and seeing if it is firing?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 years ago.
You got it!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok. That was my next step but I wanted to make sure I was headed in the right direction. If there is a miss fire then all I need to do is change the spark plug correct? If they all fire ok then were should I head to next.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 years ago.
There is much more that can cause a misfire than just spark plugs.

However, this is not a misfire.. this is a no start condition. I have been doing this for a long time. Spark and fuel need to be checked when this condition happens. If there is no spark, then I would suspect a crank sensor issue. If there is no fuel pressure, I would suspect a weak/bad fuel pump.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If we try to start it and push on the gas, would that mean that there is both spark and fuel? I am just dreading the tear down to get to my spark plugs. I have someone helping me with it and they are thinking possibly vaccum clog.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 years ago.
A vacuum leak will not cause this issue. A plugged exhaust will cause a low power situation. Not a no start condition.

Usually pushing on the gas pedal to get the vehicle started indicates a fuel delivery cancer\,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok. well I will do the plugs and fuel pressure tests and then go from there. thanks for the help.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 years ago.
You bet!

Please don't forget to hit the green accept button.

Thanks and have a great night!