Steve
Steve, Ford Technician
Experience:  25 years working for Ford dealer. Ford Master tech.

2000 windstar: fuse box..blow..a relay in the engin fuse compartment

Customer Question

I have A problem with my 2000 windstar not starting its not turning over good battery. I know it had short at the in side fuse box but Ifixed that it blow the 30 amp fuse in engine fuse box replaced that fuse. could it be a relay in the engin fuse compartment?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

Steve :

Hello and Welcome to Justanswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question

Steve :

does the theft light blink rapidly with the key in the on position?

Customer:

no

Steve :

hi

Steve :

Yes it could possibly be a bad starter relay.

Steve :

or a blown fuse

Steve :

try swapping the relay with a different one

Customer:

I did it with 1 of the same type same thing happens I have lights and its agood starter ?

Steve :

what is going on with your windstar?

Steve :

Could you please go into detail. Thanks

Customer:

I replaced the motor for the driver window the motor was burned up that screwed up the modeler under the dash replaced it but when I took the fuse panle I took it apart under the dash in 2 parts when I put back to gather I bent 1 of the metal figers it started . tryed to restart it that when I found the burnd fuse. Ireplaced it. but it wouldnt start I took the fuse box out the 1 under the dash thats win I found the bent part. Iknow dumbass me PS sorry about the spelling

Steve :

What is going on know with it? Does it not crank at all? Cranks slow? Or cranks and will not start?

Customer:

know cranking at all

Steve :

battery is good? lights work and are bright? dash lights work and are bright. theft light goes out when the key is turned on?

Customer:

yes

Steve :

Have you checked the starter fuse under the hood of the car?

Steve :

And you swaped out the starter relay in the fuse box under the hood or engine compartment?

Customer:

is that the 30amp pink 1 I change that 1 its good

Steve :

In the fuse box under the hood?

Customer:

yes

Steve :

swaped the relay?

Customer:

yes under the hood

Customer:

I

Steve :

do you have a test light?

Customer:

yes it as ohoms test

Steve :

a voltmeter?

Customer:

yes

Steve :

do you know how to use it?

Customer:

yes

Steve :

I just doubled checked and the starter relay is in the fuse box under the dash

Steve :

The fuse is under the hood

Steve :

the relay under the dash

Customer:

thats the 1 switch with one same numbers it was right next to it

Steve :

here is the wiring diagram

Customer:

soory didnt read the bottom 1 I dont a have a manual could you tell me what 1 that is

Steve :

hang on Ill see if I can find fuse box locations

Steve :

#1 is the switched system power relay

Steve :

The wiring diagram is wrong

Steve :

the starter relay is in the fuse box under the hood

Steve :

send location pics

Customer:

could you send me pic of

Steve :

Click on the pics. this is the fuse box under the hood. Called starter interrupt relay. at the bottom corner.

Steve :

swap it with the relay above it.

Customer:

theres not 1 above its Iswich it with the 1 acrooss from it sh system realay same numbers

Customer:

I have to take wife to eye doc talk to you later

Steve :

k

Customer:

I am back

Steve :

k

Steve :

Have you been able to idetify the relay in the fuse box under the hood? and swap it out. By the pics I gave you?

Customer:

yes the same ones I did befor I talk you

Steve :

k then you need to get a volt meter and start making some measurments.

Steve :

remove the relay. Look at the wiring diagram need to check for voltage at 30 were the relay plugs in should have 12 volts. The relay should be marked were the numberd pins go.

Customer:

not tonight Iam in MONTANA its showing cold thats it for the day

Steve :

k back back to me when you are ready to continue.

Steve :

have a great night.

Customer:

thanks talk to you later

Steve :

your welcome

Customer:

Well I checked the volts I got 12volts thur 30 & 87 . thats all I got even trying to start it.

Steve :

Then if you have volts through 87 the strter should be cranking the engine.

Steve :

If you have 12 volts on the yellow and light blue striped wire the starter is bad.

Steve :

Use your voltmeter and check the yellow wire to the stater. If you have 12 volts while in the crank mode and the engine does not turn over. then the starter is bad.

Steve :

Also make sure you have 12 volts to the big red wire at the starter.

Customer:

I try what you sayed and the only power was to the big red wire

Steve :

power to the small wire in the crank position.

Customer:

NO

Steve :

You have power going through the relay to the starter you said on pin 87?

Customer:

yes

Steve :

then you have a broken wire from 87 to the starter if there is no power to the starter small wire in the crank position.

Customer:

could both the relays be bad Idont know what the ohms should be

Steve :

There is only one relay the one in the fuse box under the hood see pics above.

Customer:

I know but I swich them?

Steve :

You said you have power going through 87? that goes to the starter look at the wiring diagram above.

Customer:

I swiched the switch sytem power relay with the starter interrupter relay

Steve :

the issue is you said you have power on pin 87 when you crank the engine? yes or no? If you do the wiring or the starter is bad. to the starter.

Customer:

I have power to 87 with key on & start

Steve :

With the key on there is power at 87?

Steve :

or when cranking?

Customer:

I crossed bolts at start &

Customer:

both

Steve :

do not understand?

Customer:

I jumperd at the starter & it started. theres power to 87 when the key is or when it is in start mod

Customer:

key is on or start mod there is power

Steve :

there is power then the wiring is bad

Steve :

you have a bad wire it is open

Customer:

do you know were

Steve :

No. you need to find it. it is on the yellow wire with a light blue strip

Steve :

I would run a new wire from 87 at the fuse box to the starter.

Steve :

This would be easier than finding the open wire.

Customer:

thanks steve I try to morrow I have to go after a big mule dear buck I shot to night he s in the uper 30s

Steve :

your welcome.

Steve :

Please hit the green accept button so I may get credit thanks.

Steve :

thanks for the accept

Steve, Ford Technician
Experience: 25 years working for Ford dealer. Ford Master tech.