Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

Bad tensioner cause the van to squeal, mostly when accelerating.

Would a bad tensioner cause the van to squeal, mostly when accelerating. New alternator and new belt
Hello and Welcome to Justanswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question.

Yes a bad tensioner will cause the belt to slip if it is weak and not holding proper tension. Remove the belt before replacing it and spin each pulley to be sure they spin freely and don't make any noise and or feel rough/
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If the pulleys spin freely and make no noise what would the other problem be? And could this also cause the van to have a hard time starting, more so when cold? It will have a weak start or sometimes not start, almost sounds as if the battery is low but it tests just fine
If the belt is slipping it could cause a low battery, but you could also have a weak battery, start with addressing the tensioner and then once the belt is nice and tight, have the charging system tested to be sure your getting 14 volts while running and also have the battery load tested. The battery should load to at least 10.8 volts. If not replace it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Perfect thank you so much!
Your very welcome and thank you as well.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The speedometer on the van is acting funny, goes all the way up and back down and again...any suggestions?
If you have an analog speedometer I would start with removing the cluster and removing speedometer cable from the housing and lubing it real well with some lite grease.This will usually correct this problem if its dry.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The squealing is back after changing stopped for a day but we took it out of town and now it is doing it again..any suggestions?
Is is possiable you may have glazed the belt, if so it may still slip providing its tight as it should be.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How can you tell if the belt is glazed? The belt is extremely tight, had a heck of time putting it on. Is there a way to adjust the belt or should the tensioner be automatically doing this?
If its glazed it will have a shine to the drive surface of it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok and does it need replaced then? And how to tell if the belt is tight enough?

One other thing to have a look at that can squeal is the cam shaft synchronizer that drives the cam sensor. If the tensioner is new, its tight enough.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok how can I tell if that is bad? And if the belt is glazed should we change it again or there a solution to that?
If it glazed yes change it. To know if the cam driver is bad take a close listen to it when the noise occurs.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Are there any other symptoms a bad cam driver can cause? Just so I know if the van has been having any of them
Some times they can cause the engine to not run right but not always.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok not really any problems with the does a belt get glazed?
It gets glazed from slipping.