sgm11155
sgm11155, ASE Master tech
Experience:  I have worked in the automotive feld for over 20 years
48411850

1999 Ford Escort: Automatic..Overdrive..4000 rpm when the car..Tire

I have a 1999 Ford Escort, ZX2 and the Transmission wont change into Automatic Overdrive. The engine is turning 4000 rpm when the car is going 90 kph. What is the estimated cost to get this problem fixed at someplace like Canadian Tire. The Transmission is full of fluid and it isn't burnt.
Category: Ford
Expert:  sgm11155 replied 2 years ago.

sgm11155 :

hi i am shannon i will help on this issue

sgm11155 :

when the transmission will not shift the computer has put it in to limp in mode.

sgm11155 :

you will need the have the computer scaned for codes first

sgm11155 :

this will give the tech a place to start

sgm11155 :

most likely you have a bad solenoid in the trans.

sgm11155 :

that is not a hard job to do

sgm11155 :

after testing the code if it is in the trans they will need to remove the oil pan to get to the solenoids

sgm11155 :

that takes two hours .one for the computer testing and the other to remove the pan almostany computer controlled part in the trans can be replaced fo less that 1 hour

sgm11155 :

then you will have the cost of the part the gasket and have the filter changed.

sgm11155 :

and some trans fluid . it could be less than $500.00 if no hard parts are broken in the transmission

sgm11155 :

i hope this answered your question please press the green ACCEPT button i will still answer on this issue thanks shannon.

sgm11155, ASE Master tech
Experience: I have worked in the automotive feld for over 20 years
Expert:  sgm11155 replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  sgm11155 replied 2 years ago.
please post any question in the box below. thanks shannon
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Your answer makes good sense to me. I will try to get my Car in at some Service Center and ask them to fix it. I have printed off your comments and I will present it to them. I will let you know how things work out.

Thanks and I have accepted your answer.