AlvinC
AlvinC, Ford Technician
Experience:  With Ford 20+years as Dealership Technician Ford Senior Master Technician Gas and Diesel
10384837

2006 Ford F350: 6.0 Diesel..motor will not stay running..acts..dies

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Ford F350 6.0 Diesel Turbo The motor will not stay running . It runs for 15sec. then acts like it is running out of fuel and dies
Category: Ford
Expert:  AlvinC replied 2 years ago.
Hi this is Al, This sounds like you might have an injector that is leaking combustion into the fuel system. Remove the the fuel lines that go to each head at the fuel filter housing. Remove the fuel pump relay. Put a balloon on each line and make sure it seals goo, I use zip ties. Now have someone crank the engine while you watch the balloons. If either balloon fills with air you have an injector leaking combustion on that bank. I hope this helps. If not let me know, Al
AlvinC, Ford Technician
Experience: With Ford 20+years as Dealership Technician Ford Senior Master Technician Gas and Diesel
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'll give that a try and let you know if that was the problem. Give me a few days to get back to you Thanks for the advise..
Expert:  AlvinC replied 2 years ago.
That sounds good if that's not it let me know and we will continue to work on your problem, Al
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello AlvinC I tried what you said to do , and it didn't do a bit of good .. But to let you know I did find the problem, To start with I changed the fuel filters and it ran for about 30 sec. I
then changed the oil and the filter it ran for about 1 min. { Getting better } I don't know why but I cleaned out the EGR Electric Heat Sensor { Bugger getting at it took 2 people}
And to my surprize it runs like a top. The only thing is my engine light is on and I'm
sure if I put it on the machine it will cancel that.
So do let you know if you come across somebody with this problem again go straight to the EGR Electric Heat Sensor { It will be pluged} cost for new one $122.00 Canadain
or clean it out yourself cost a little time.. Thanks again for your help
Charlie Mailman
Expert:  AlvinC replied 2 years ago.
Charlie I am at a loss here, I do not know of a EGR electric heat sensor. If it is the EGR valve yes they do plug up, but when they do the normal concern is loss of power and black smoke. If they are plugged and stuck open the normally won't idle at all. One thing that confuses me and I am not sure about is you said it was a bugger to get to and took 2 people. The EGR valve is right on top and held in with 2 bolts. If it is the EGR you are talking about you will need to replace it to get the light to stay off, the position sensor in it will be out of range this happens after cleaner Ford does not advise it any longer, Al
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The valve that I was talking about is located on the left {driver side} coming from the exaust manifold a small 1/4 " pipe to a electric sensor under the master brake cylinder
Expert:  AlvinC replied 2 years ago.
Ok, That is the EBP(Exhaust Backpressue Sensor).The tube being plugged will not cause your concern, But the sensor will or the wiring to it rubbing, There has been reported issues of the wiring, please check it for any chaffing, Disturbing the wire could be what took care of your problem and if it was a rubbing issue it could return,Al
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The tube was not plugged, the sensor at the end of it was. The wiring was good checked it when it was unplugged. All I know is a friend of mine had the same problem with the same truck as mine in his shop and he tried everything. then I told him to check thaat valve and his was plugged as well , he cleanned it today and phoned me back and it fix his problem. we do not know why but there is 2 trucks doing the same thing, and that fix it.
So I'll let you figure that one out { ???} Good Luck with it...
Charlie.
This was to let you know what fixed our problem
Expert:  AlvinC replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Charlie, I will looking forward to one coming in with the issue to check it out. Thanks again, Al
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank You The truck is running great . other then when it warms up and I stop at a light it loads up and smokes so bad you can't see the cars behind you ,after about 2blocks it clear up and is good again . the odd time it does does to miss any ideas for me to fix the problem??
Expert:  AlvinC replied 2 years ago.
Charlie, What color is the smoke you are getting? Al
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Almost a bluie white no black in it at tall
Expert:  AlvinC replied 2 years ago.
Ok Charlie that would indicate a fuel concern possibly a leaking injector, your best bet is to have a power balance and relative compression done when it is missing and smoking to determine which cylinder is creating the issue, Al
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'll give it a try thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm thinking with this 6.0 where I'm haveing so much problems will a 2000 7.3 diesel fit up to that trans in the 2005 ? thanks AlvinC
Expert:  AlvinC replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, but swapping to a 7.3 will not work as bolt patterns are different and the 05 has a electronically controlled 6 speed trans and the 2000 was a 4speed. The controllers are totally different and inputs for the trans is totally different, Al
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm trying
Expert:  AlvinC replied 2 years ago.
Your best bet if swapping to the 7.3 would be to swap the trans also, good luck, Al
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the information, You have a great xmas, and we will be talking again soon...