AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Ford Ranger: Changing timing belt on 94 Ranger 2.3 w aAC &

Changing timing belt on 94 Ranger 2.3 w aAC & manual trans. Engine has Crankshaft position sensor in way of removing flat crankshaft washer. The belt can't be replace without getting the washer out of the way. I have removed two screws holding sensor/wires. Then taken screws out of the metal thing (Crankshaft Sensor bracket ??) in way of removing the washer. What now. Haynes mentioned turning crankshaft pulley to 10:00 position. To me the instructions are fuzzy from there on. Can you help me?
Hello!

Are you looking for more info on replacing the timing belt from where you are at now?

Are you having troubles getting the crank sensor off?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, as I said in the first window, only the flat crankshaft washer is keeping me from getting the timing belt off. The crank sensor ( I am calling it that, my Haynes book doesn't even show it or mention it in replacing the timing belt. What I am calling the crank sensor is just to the right of the crankshaft. 2 wires to a small sensor???. 2 tiny screws hold it to the above mentioned bracket. I feel sur;e we are talking about the same thing The wire runs up behind the inner timing chain cover.
The crank sensor should be located to the left of the crankshaft. It has four wires. I think you may be talking about something else.

Can you upload a pic?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did not mean to accept the answer. I will send a picture.
Sounds good!

We can still continue our conversation until you are happy.

I will be looking forward to your reply!
I found a picture of your crank sensor. IT is to the left of the crankshaft

Click here
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, We have a picture. Now how do I remove the metal bracket in the way of removing the washer that is stopping me from getting the timing belt off?
It is a really tight fit. This washer should be able to be removed.

Can you upload a picture so i can see what your talking about?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I took a picture. How do I upload it to you?
There should be a "tree" or a "paperclicp" icon in the tool bar on top of the reply box that you can use to upload this picture to this page so I can view it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I see it, so I will insert it ASAP. Thanks
Sounds good!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

I don't know if you have anything here. We seem to be complicating this thing. From the passenger seat, just to the left of the crankshaft

One of your replies included a pictured on page 2 of the answer of your experts. On page one it said the info was for 1994 FORD RANGER 4X2 2.3 LITER CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR.

THE NOTE ON THE ABOVE MENTIONED PAGE SAID: SUBMITTED 1616 days and 5 hours ago

The Customer question was: need diagrahm of cps and crank hub installation instructions.

My need is to change the timing belt. that bracket to the left of the crankshaft is fully in front of the big flat washer that runs aginst the timing belt. I loosened the bolts, and you can wiggle the bracket, but not remove it. what do I do to get the bracket out of the way ?

For some reason the picture did not come through.. you have to hit insert twice for it to be uploaded.

I know you are doing the timing belt.. but you were asking about the crank sensor.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Got it! Thanks! Your not talking about the black plastic bracket are you?
I believe the entire piece should be removed..
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Got a better picture. How is it removed. I have had bolts loose, and it would not come off.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Yeah.. this is a tight fit... i have done this several of times..

The washer does not get removed from the crank pulley.. the outer plastic cover gets removed so you can remove and replace the belt.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sir, the outer plastic cover is already off. The lower bottome inner plastice cover is where there is no clearance to get the belt in or out. Are you saying if I take off the power steering pulley, tensioner, etc. that the inner part of the plastic cover will come off. Then put the new belt and inner cover back on together?
Sorry for the confusion.. no..

I have always just squeezed the timing belt in between the pulley and the metal part to get it in. It will be hard.. but it is possible. The only other way would be to remove that crankshaft pulley with a special puller. It would need to be pulled out about 1 inch just enough for the belt to get slid into on the pulley and then put back in place. Do not remove the pulley completely.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the help thus far. I am not ready to accept the answer till I know it will work. Tomorrow is another day. I will be back.
There is no need to accept another one of my answers. You have honored your good faith deposit by accepting my answer already. I will work with you until you are happy. If I cannot help you, you are more than welcome to request a refund at any time. I would not want you to go away upset. I am trying my best to help you out. Thank you very much for being patient with me.

Let me know if you have any further questions!