Dieseljunky2
Dieseljunky2, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified, Ford Certified, Cummins Certified, & 20+ years in field experience
24158749

Ford v10 triton chassis My ford triton v10 engine has problems...at

Customer Question

My ford triton v10 engine has problems...at interstate speeds the gauge shows overheating suddenly and the rpm suddenly starts to drop while the engine loses all power. The heat sensor has been replaced to no avail...the problem continues...the engine is NOT overheating...help!
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dieseljunky2 replied 5 years ago.

Dieseljunky2 : Hello, has the water manifold or complete intake manifold been replaced? Some of these rvs had issues with the water manifold not flowing correctly and causing false overheat situations that caused the engine to go into limp mode. Do you know if this has been done? Let me know what else has been tried already? Thanks
JACUSTOMER-pibbezbm- :

Neither Water manifold NOR intake manifold replaced...computer diagnostics shows errors but not solution...I can discuss manifold idea with my mech. BUT I don't know that this is the answer. Will there be physical evidence of manifold error IF that is the problem?

JACUSTOMER-pibbezbm- :

I did not "accept" answer til I speak with my mechanic

JACUSTOMER-pibbezbm- :

Send email with note to continue this discussion, please.

JACUSTOMER-pibbezbm- :

Please understand that overheating is not occuring...I turn off engine when condition occurs and immediately restart it and ALL IS WELL (according to the gauges, any how)...help???

JACUSTOMER-pibbezbm- :

Thanks...

Dieseljunky2 : Yes, there will be no indication visually. The problem goes away when the key is cycles because the water flow changes when the engine is turned off. Have a talk with your Mech then get back to me if more discussion is needed. Thanks
JACUSTOMER-pibbezbm- :

I will and thank you very much...I will get back to you.

Dieseljunky2 : Ok, thanks
JACUSTOMER-pibbezbm- :

My mechanic disagrees...he says the problem MUST be electrical and he is pursueing a solution on that premise...reason: if it were the manifold, the problem would come back immediately upon cycling ignition. Will let you know.

Dieseljunky2 : Here is the factory bulletin I am referring to. E:Some 2005-2007 F-Super Duty and F-53 Motorhome chassis vehicles equipped with a 5.4L or 6.8L 3-valve engine may exhibit an engine temperature gauge indicating an overheating condition with the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on with diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P1285 and P1299.ACTION:Performing normal engine cooling system diagnostics in Workshop Manual, Section 303-03, if it is determined that the engine is not physically overheating (coolant expulsion), install a new thermostat and crossover pipe. They have been revised for improved cooling system flow characteristics.PART NUMBER PART NAME 7L3Z-8575-A Thermostat - 5.4L 7C3Z-8575-A Thermostat - 6.8L 3L3Z-8C368-A Crossover Pipe - 5.4L 3L3Z-8C368-B Crossover Pipe - 6.8L
Dieseljunky2 : E:Some 2005-2007 F-Super Duty and F-53 Motorhome chassis vehicles equipped with a 5.4L or 6.8L 3-valve engine may exhibit an engine temperature gauge indicating an overheating condition with the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on with diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P1285 and P1299.ACTION:Performing normal engine cooling system diagnostics in Workshop Manual, Section 303-03, if it is determined that the engine is not physically overheating (coolant expulsion), install a new thermostat and crossover pipe. They have been revised for improved cooling system flow characteristics.PART NUMBER PART NAME 7L3Z-8575-A Thermostat - 5.4L 7C3Z-8575-A Thermostat - 6.8L 3L3Z-8C368-A Crossover Pipe - 5.4L 3L3Z-8C368-B Crossover Pipe - 6.8L
JACUSTOMER-pibbezbm- :

My engine is a 2004, not a 2005-2007 brand. The Factory tech-rep has verivied, in a tele. call this AM (set up by me yesterday evening), that "with the sensor already replaced and a continuation of the symptom on this configuration, the next step is to replace the PCM onboard...should the symptom further persist, then the next step is to troubleshoot for a short between the computer and the engine".

Dieseljunky2 : I would look for the short before spending near a thousand bucks on a computer.