Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist
9600325

2004 ford f150: snap ring..Overdrive valve went..cyclinder..tension

Customer Question

2004 ford f150 transmission overdrive went out I replaced the broken overdrive valve and snap ring and retainer ring already. Overdrive valve went in cyclinder ready easy. I pushed the valve past the retainer grove in cyclinder without any spring tension, is that suppose to be that way?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for your question.

Are you referring to the c-clip on the overdrive servo? Or the snap ring that holds the servo in to the case? Or the shift valve in the valve body?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
all of it. I replaced the snap ring on the cyclinder that broke and the eclip on the end of the servo. But when I went to put the servo up in the cyclinder it pushed in past the snap ring groove without any spring tension. I think I'm missing a spring but not sure but with or without the second spring wouldn't overdrive still work? Sorry I put a new servo in that already has a eclip and spring on it . I call it and eclip that you call c clip
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 3 years ago.
Was the small eclip broken or just the large snap ring?

Do you have both springs installed the one on the servo pin and the one that goes in the servo bore in the case?

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, I forgot to put the green spring back in. Even so wouldn't the overdrive still work?

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 3 years ago.
Need to know if the small eclip was broken or not
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, I replaced it when I bought the new Servo which came already assembled with the eclip or cclip
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 3 years ago.
Ok the broken piece of the clip is stuck in the overdrive servo regulator valve bore in the valve body not allowing the valve to move. The valve body needs to be removed and disassembled to remove the broken piece from the valve bore.

You also need to get the spring installed, it is a return spring but also acts as an accumulator cushion spring and the 3/4 shift is going to be very harsh and could damage the band if not installed once you get the clip removed from the bore.

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I found the spring thats missing and also I found the cclip and pieces to cclip that broke but not all of the cclip pieces. If there are still pieces of the cclip in the valve body where you say, would it stop it from shifting into overdrive?
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 3 years ago.
Yes There will be just one piece, jammed in the valve. Seen it a hundred times
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Just One more Question, Can I get to this area in the valve body without taking it all apart? And without having the spring in the cyclinder, is it right that you could push the servo past the cyclinder groove for the cclip without any tension?
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 3 years ago.
It is not possible to access the bore with it assembled. the retainers for the valve bore plugs are under the separator plate, there is no way to get the piece out without pulling the separator plate off. If the servo is installed without the spring yes it will just slide right in until it bottoms out on the band anchor which would have the servo below the snap ring groove.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is the separator plate on the pan side thats metal and held on by alot of screws and will anything fall out if I do this, sorry, I hope this is my last question,thanks for all your help
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 3 years ago.
No, the separator plate is on the case side, hence separator it separates the valve body from the case. Here is the complete valve body disassembly section from the shop manual.

CLICK HERE
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You have been great but the risk of sounding stupid on my last question,it says to discard gaskets, does that mean I can't use the old gaskets or do I need to buy a rebuild kit for the Valve Body?
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 3 years ago.
I always replace the gaskets, this would be the third time that you will have released and retorqued the gaskets. They are very inexpensive. Also only disassemble what is necessary to get the plate off. leave the pan side plate on, just remove the reinforcements and the separator bolts. You might see the piece setting in the bore I can sometimes just move the valve with a pick and get the clip piece out with a magnet. If not you will need to remove the bore plug and pull back the spring and shuttle to get the piece out.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience: Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX!!!!!!!! I will recommend You You have been a big help
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 3 years ago.
Your welcome