A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

2001 ford windstar: tire low pressure light..new tires..van

Customer Question

i have a 2001 ford windstar and I cannot get the tire low pressure light to go off can u helpe me

I had a flat tire and then I had two new tires installed on the rear of the van and the light will not go out

I don't have a 2001 ford book

Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.I will try my best to help you with your question.

The Low Tire Warning (LTW) system detects differences in inflation pressures in one or more tires. The system uses the ABS wheel speed sensors to monitor the rolling radius of the wheel and tire assemblies. If a difference in rolling radius is detected, the ABS module illuminates the LTW lamp located in the instrument cluster. The LTW system must be reset when tire replacement, maintenance, system repair is performed or any time tire pressure is adjusted. To reset the system, press and hold the "Tire Reset" switch for a minimum of three seconds. The LTW warning lamp will flash 3 times indicating a reset has been initiated.

The tire reset switch is located to the left of the steering wheel on the dash.

graphic

Experience: ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I better start over again I have a 2003 ford windstar sport model a few months ago I had to change the cluster and I got a 2001 cluster then i had a flat tire and had two new tires put on the rea of the van. I have not been able to get the push button on the clustor to make the upper tire light go foff on the cluster top of it. I c there is a difference where the button is u showed a picture but I dont have that on my 2003 I said I have a 2001 van cause of the 2001 cluster do u savie
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can I get a switch as shown on yr diagram and have it installed to my 2001 cluster and then mybe it will work.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can I get a switch as shown on yr diagram and have it installed to my 2001 cluster and then mybe it will work. I can't seem to get to talk back and forth to u

Do you have the tire reset switch on your 2003 Windstar next to the headlight switch?

Just want to make sure we are on the same page.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can I get a switch as shown on yr diagram and have it installed to my 2001 cluster and then mybe it will work. I can't seem to get to talk back and forth to u. My 2003 does not have that reset button yoou show cause my van is a 2003 not a 2001 No I dont have that switch near the headlight

The reset button is on my cluster on the left hand side but i cant get it to turn off the upper tire light

Just to make sure I completely understand your concern.

When you replaced the cluster, you had a flat at the same time and that is when the light came on?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I cant understand why it woun't work cause al the other things work with the 2001 cluster
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I cant understand why it woun't work cause al the other things work with the 2001 cluster. No I had the 2001 cluster installed and about a month later i had the flat tire. The tire indicator light didnt come on until i had the flat tire.

Then make sure all the tire pressures are set to the pressures indicated on the door jamb sticker and make sure all the tires are the same size. Example--P245/75R16.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I cant understand why it woun't work cause al the other things work with the 2001 cluster. No I had the 2001 cluster installed and about a month later i had the flat tire. The tire indicator light didnt come on until i had the flat tire. When I had the 2003 cluster in the upper tire light indicator came on in the upper dash and when I pushed the reset button on the lower left had side the tire indicator on the lower left had side would come on too and when I pushed the reset for 3 sec it would go out and so would the upper light on the cluster all the tires are the same size and the pressure is the same, they have been checked three times.

Then you will need to have the TPMS system checked out. It works in conjunction with the ABS and Traction control system. It could be a wiring issue or a sensor issue.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i c well that will cost lots of money . Why cant I just get the reset swith youshowed and plug it into my cluster
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i c well that will cost lots of money . Why cant I just get the reset swith youshowed and plug it into my cluster It is plain to c why it wount work withthe 2001 cluster cause i dont have that reset switch u shoed me so I need to get that switch and have it installed no
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No matter lwhat I do to do further checking it wount work cause i dont have that switch that works with tha cluster

There are wires and modules you will need to install to install the switch. You will need to be good with electrical and reading wiring diagrams to install the switch.

Basically what happened is you installed the 2001 instrument cluster.

Shortly afterward, 1 month, you had a flat tire.

The cluster you installed has TPMS set up in it.

Your original 2003 cluster did not have it.

The tire light will only come on if a tire is low.

Your 2003 Windstar does not have the TPMS set up in it.

The 2001 Windstar that the cluster came out of did.

Now that the light is on, you can not reset it because your 2003 does not support TPMS.

The only way you can make the light go out is to remove the bulb.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
then i wount have that worning system right
Correct.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
then i wount have that worning system right the 2003 cluste does have the tpms cause i have seen the light indicators come before when i had low tires i will go to Ford i guess cause i do have that tpms and i understand what u are saying about the wiring maybe i should just get a 2003 cluster and change from the 2001 it would be much simpler and i would have the proper indicators and reset buttons
Just have them check it out. Make sure you tell them about the cluster.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes but u know ford they will charge an arm and a leg to check it out but anyways I thank you for the info about the reset button, a 2003 cluster used is only 100 I think that would be the best tuvm for yr time God bless
The dealerships do have specials. We have a $49.95 check out charge for check engine lights and other warning lights. Call them first and check them out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
this warning light will not who up on the digital indicator but anyways tuvm again God bless

Take care.