Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

accelerating, the vehicle starts & idles great..sputters..backfires

Customer Question

No power while accelerating, the vehicle starts & idles great but as soon as it goes into gear you can't accelerate, the vehicle sputters & sort of backfires but won't properly accelerate.
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 years ago.

Is the check engine light on or flashing?

Is the engine misfiring or bogging down under a load?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The check engine light came on, the engine seems to bog down without misfiring.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 years ago.
Ok.. you either have one of two things happening if the engine is NOT misfiring.

Either the mass air flow sensor (or snorkel) is bad or the fuel pressure is low causing your no power situation.

If the engine IS misfiring, then chances are you just have bad tune up parts.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

When I parked the vehicle to change the altenator other than not charging it ran perfectly, I felt that an old command start could have been causing issues so I removed it as well, there's a wire running down from the ignition key in the colum that was plugged into the command start and I cut it and tucked it away, then fully removed the unit. I also had to replace the 175 amp Maxi-fuse in order to make the battery light go out. Would this cause any of this problem? How can I test the snorkel & fuel pressure?

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 years ago.
None of these things should cause your issue.

You can visually look at the air intake snorkel to see if it is cracked or ripped.

TO check fuel pressure you will need to hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail and take a reading.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So u don't think this could be electrical at all? I know the air intake snorkel is good and the fuel pressure shouldn't change in one instant should it? Like from when I parked it the thing ran excellent???? The vehicle has 48000 miles & has sat parked on blocks for the past 5 years, I just took it out of mothballs to give to my sister previously there had been a battery draw and no one could figure it out, I took it to my ford dealer and they thought it was a faulty sterio & replaced it, that wasn't the problem, I think it was the command start but now with this going on I am baffled.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 years ago.
It could be a wiring issue.. but it would be very rare. If anything, the wiring issue would be under the hood.. not under the dash or behind the radio.

If the air intake snorkel is loose, cracked or ripped, the engine would bog down under a load like this..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I just went and checked again but zero problem with air....while in park the engine rpm's up as normal runs great until it goes into gear then it bogs/shudders but won't accelerate, it will idle but won't let you accelerate?????
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 4 years ago.
Right.. as long as the exhaust is not plugged up, either you have low fuel pressure or a bad mass air flow sensor.

I hope this helps! Please don't forget hit the green accept button so that I may get credit for the time that I have spent with you. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

I do hope you are as honest with me about your vehicle as I have been with you. If you have any further questions or if you need more assistance, just hit the reply button and we can continue our conversation. Please remember, even if you accept my answer now, you can still repost or respond back to this thread at any time you wish at no further cost and I will be more than happy to continue to work with you until you are happy.

In addition, please allow time between answers as I may be off line spending time with my family or assisting other customers. You can always request me by using the link through my profile page. Just Click on "AMEDEE" next to my picture and I will be sure to respond back in a timely manner.

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I ended up taking the Explorer to a mechanic shop & they changed out the transmission found that wasn't the issue as I told them so they changed it back then proceeded to go over the entire vehicle and it sits to this day without being figured out?? Do u have any more thoughts on what I can try?