Daniel, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Technician
17254274

2001 ford explorer: wont start..fuses ok, relays ok..noises..fuel pump

Customer Question

2001 ford explorer wont start, battery ok, starter ok, fuses ok, relays ok, put the key in turn it lights blink noises come on fuel pump comes on, when i turn the key the rest of the way starter wont come on
Category: Ford
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.

Daniel :

Welcome to Just Answer. We are working on a fast accurate answer Based on the info you have provided. Your time and my time are both Very important. Hello I am Daniel

Daniel :

do you have the 4.0?

Daniel :

have you checked the starter relay and starter solenoid?

Customer:

v-6 the only motor ford put in the explorer 4 w-d that year

Daniel :

Click here for starter solenoid.

Daniel :

Ok I didnt know it was a 4x4, the two wheel drive had a 302

Customer:

have checked all of that, it is not making any sense at all

Daniel :

is it clicking or one click or no click

Customer:

no when i turn it all the way to start the starter nothing happens

Daniel :

Ok have you tried a nsbu switch?

Customer:

if i jump where the relay goes the car will start

Daniel :

trans range switch? if you rock it or wiggle gear selector around? will it start?

Customer:

no and if i put it in nuetral it wont start either

Daniel :

ok and you have tried a new relay

Customer:

bought ia new one to make sure it was ok

Daniel :

ok have you check fuse 24 its a 7.5 amp fuse

Customer:

i have checked every fuse in the veh. with a meter and visually

Daniel :

also check fuse 5 its a 50 amp fuse.

Customer:

5 is the red one under the hood its ok also

Daniel :

Ok do you have power to the relay when turning to start at 85 on relay a tan and red wire goes to it.

Daniel :

the relay connection that is. it should be hot. and this comes from nsbu switch or digital range sensor.

Daniel :

Click here for diagram if you dont have one.

Customer:

yes

Daniel :

ok it is hot.

Customer:

yes

Daniel :

can you check for ground at 86 its a black wire. (continuity from it, to engine or bolt thats grounded.

Customer:

yes

Daniel :

if you dont have it jump a wire from that wire anfd make a ground and see if it will start

Customer:

let me check real fast

Daniel :

I have seen alot of neg battery cables to ground on vehicle loose or dirty. and starter so make sure they are shiney and clean and tight.

Daniel :

I will be here.

Customer:

i just tested it and its grounded

Daniel :

Ok running low on options. Have you cleaned the starter cables and neg ground from battery to vehicle.

Daniel :

Try cleaning a ground from starter to vehicle run a jumper wire

Daniel :

when doing these tests have you seen less that 12 volts and wiggle wires to see if continuity breaks

Customer:

i have done all of that, i am out of options thats why i looked u up, this is irratating me , just doesnt make anysense

Daniel :

No its doesnt

Daniel :

One moment

Customer:

i have been on this for 2 days now, everything checkes ok like i said i can jump where the realy goes and it will start rt up

Daniel :

anti theft light isnt on is it?

Customer:

yes it blinks constantly

Daniel :

Theres the issue

Customer:

yes it is, it blinks every 2 or3 seconds

Daniel :

one moment

Daniel :

Try locking and unlocking the doors with the key, then starting it.

The procedure for resetting the pats is to insert the key in the door and turn it left then right, removing the battery should not affect the anti theft unless there is a problem with the pats and now the computer has forgotten the code associated with your key.

Try your spare key first, that way you will know if the key is the problem, If your anti theft light blinks all the time even when driving the pats is bad and you will have to get it looked at, at the very least you might need to get your key reprogrammed.

The anti theft light under normal conditions will come on steady for 3 seconds when the key is turned on, if there is a problem with the system it will flash, and also when operating normally it will blip when key is off as a warning to potential thieves.

To permanently disable the anti theft Pats ( passive anti theft system ) locate the Green/purple wire in the driver side kick panel and permanently ground it to metal.

Daniel :

If this doesnt work there is a issue with the anti theft and you can try a bypass module or have a ford dealer scan it. they have the only scanner to trouble shoot it.

Customer:

how would u bypass it if this is the problem

Daniel :

To permanently disable the anti theft Pats ( passive anti theft system ) locate the Green/purple wire in the driver side kick panel and permanently ground it to metal. or find a bypass module to install. auto zone had a bulldog for like 24 bucks at one time. it came with a site and you can view video online for installation if they still have it. other wise the dealer is the only one with correct scanner to diagnose it. a bad battery can cause this or a bad key. so make sure you try your spare and a jump from another car. Or known good battery or new battery

Customer:

let me try to to find the green/purple wire in the kick panel, is the kick panel under the dash to the left or on the door

Daniel :

under steering column to the left

Customer:

i will be rt back

Daniel :

OK '

Customer:

that didnt work either

Daniel :

Ok you have your other checks to do and the option of a bypass module or a dealer.

Daniel :

ok on the left rear of the truck the anti theft module is back there. there should be two connections unplug the white connection with 10 or 111 pins in it and try to start it?

Daniel :

take the left rear panle out on drivers side.

Customer:

ok , i will try that next

Daniel :

Ok fingers are crossed. your year is on the border line for it to work.

Daniel, Ford Technician
Experience: Ford Technician
Expert:  Daniel replied 2 years ago.
If spare key and the battery your are using is good then you have the bypass module and the dealer reset option.