John Mc
John Mc, Ford Technician
Experience:  19 years Ford Lincoln Mercury experience
7591113

1995 F-150 XLT: the complete ignition switch assembly..tumbler..column

I think I need to replace the complete ignition switch assembly of my 1995 F-150 XLT pick-up. The switch just spins and would not stop the engine. I removed the key tumbler assembly and the problem is switch itself that is in the column. Can you suggest procedure for identifying, removing, and replacing this switch?

John Mc :

Hi, I am John Mc, a Ford dealer tech. I hope I can help you quickly and accurately. One moment while I work on your problem.

John Mc :

Will the key turn all the way around?

Customer:

Not totally. It will turn forward (clockwise) and actually engage the starter and it turn backward (counter clockwise) to what should be the accessory position but it "free wheels" in between.

John Mc :

Usually this is caused either by the switch itself or the two plastic pieces that are in the column. This is how to replace the switch, it is pretty easy. It is down on the bottom of the column and it held in by 2 t30 screws. Just remove the 7mm for the wiring connection then you can remove the bolts for the switch. Once off you should be able to feel resistance in the modes of the switch. If you do your problem is in the column and you will have to remove the column and completely disassemble and reassemble it to replace the plastic linkages inside. Many people will get a salvage yard column as this can be a real pain to do the job if you have never done one.

John Mc :

If this answer has been helpful to you please help me by accepting. This is how I receive credit for helping you today!

Also if you need further assistance for this problem after accepting feel free to ask a
follow up and I'll be glad to help.

Thanks,
John Mc

If you need me and it says I am not in chat it is ok. I get a message as soon as you respond so I can come right back.

Customer:

When you say the "7mm for the wiring connection" is that a 7mm bolt or is it a wiring connector? I see a white plastic cover that would be just inside the dash on the column, is this the switch I'm looking for?

John Mc :

I believe that is what you are looking for. It should have a hole in the middle with a 7mm bolt in the center. You take this bolt loose and the connector comes off.

Customer:

Thanks for clarifying. I go see what further trouble I can get into.