Chris (aka- Moose), Ford Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Ford.

2007 Ford Edge SEL: awd..passenger side floor, vents..drivers side

Customer Question

I Have a 2007 Ford Edge SEL awd. The heat currently works great on the passenger side floor, vents, and defrost. However, I have no heat at any point on the drivers side. Is this an actuator door failing? And how do I access it?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

Odds are it is a faulty blend door actuator, its also possibly the blend door itself or the climate control panel.

You need to perform some diagnostics from Ford prior to replacing anything.

Download the self test and symptom chart and pinpoint tests and component tests by clicking HERE

Download the blend door access and replacement HERE

Let me know if you have any difficulties doing these tests.

Chris (aka- Moose), Ford Technician
Experience: 16 years experience with Ford.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hey Chris, Thanks for the help. The actuator appears to be working correctly. I removed it as well and tested the linkage manually. This does not supply any heat to the drivers side. Does this mean the blend door is broken? The linkage moves freely.
Check the linkage where it connects to the blend door and see if the linkage has come off or if the the blend door shaft is broken. You may be able to fix this from outside the HVAC box. If there are broken parts but not on the exterior and you can manually control driver side temp then the dash has to come out to replace the broken blend door.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, I checked the linkage and everything appears to be in tact and not broken. When I move the linkage manually, I can hear the blend door move and and seat at each end on the movement. But when this happens, one way I get extremely cold air(assuming thats would be the AC direction), and the other way I still get cold air, just not as cold as the other way. I have no heat either way in comparison to the passenger vents that I feel at the same time. What would you recommend next? Taking the dash out to inspect the actual blend door?

The car is at operating temp when doing this test correct?

The passenger side is putting out alot of heat when on the manual settings when doing this test correct?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thats correct. Vehicle is at operating temperature. The passenger side is putting out full heat. I manually operate the controls that were operated by the actuator under the drivers side dash above and to the right of the pedals and get no heat in either direction on the drivers side.
Okay, this does mean the dash has to come out and the HVAC box removed and replaced or internally inspected and repaired.