Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

ford F150 Pickup I replaced my cam sensor and now my truck

Customer Question

I replaced my cam sensor and now my truck is running rough and dies out. Could it be that when I did that water from the water pump hose I had to remove got into the sensor?
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.

did these codes appear only after replacing the sensor?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No these were the codes that initially created my check engine light to come on. I called a friend of mine that is a heavy tech for ford and he said to replace the sensor

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
Did your engine run rough before you replaced the sensor?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No it was fine, with the exception of the check engine light. I pulled the line going to my waterpump because the sensor sets directly under it. And yes i did lose some water/ antifreeze in doing so. After i replaced the sensor and put the line back in and tightened everything down i put more water in it to replace what i had lost and gave it about 30 minutes and then started it up and it made a different sound and was running rough and died out.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
Ok.. if you clear the codes, which code comes back first?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have not had the codes redone. Shop is closed and unfortunately my truck isnt running for me to even go to like an auto zone or anything place of that nature.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
Ok.. YES.. coolant will KILL a sensor.. it is very possible that this happened just because coolant got onto the sensor itself or even electrical connector.

You may want to dry them off or let them dry to see if this helps your condition.

If not, you will have to get your vehicle running and then go after the first code that pops up in the computer. However, you might just find that you have a bad new sensor due to the coolant on it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So for now unplug sensor and perhaps let it dry over night and retry it tomorrow morning? Is that correct? Is there any poosibilty that my water pump could be going out now that i have done this even though that was not the code that it thru?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
YES.. unplug the sensor and if there is any coolant in the connector area, spray it off with carb cleaner or brake cleaner and let it dry overnight.

YES.. it is possible that the water pump may be going south.. you could always pressure check the cooling system to see if it leaks..
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay, i will do that. WIll see how it goes in the morning, I may have some additional questions if not. I thank you for assisting me this evening. Will I be able to come back on here in the morning to ask additional questions if need be?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
Absolutely! Just reply back to this page and I will get it and and get back to you asap! Please allow time between replies as I may be assisting other customers or spending time with my family.

I will be looking forward to your reply!

Best regards

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hello Amedee,

I got the sensor replaced and went a short distance to Auto Zone for them to retreive the codes again.Let me back up a moment, Once I got the sensor replaced and added some water to it i turned the vehicle on. It is running smoothly and did not overheat, however when I turned the vehicle off and then turned it back on my check engine light come back on. I then took it to have the codes retrieved and the only code that is showing is the P0340.

Now because I am not a heavy line person is it possible that it may be an egr valve that has to muchcarbon in it or perhaps something else, a sensor or something. The vehicle is not running rough but the light is on.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.

Sorry for the delay!

How many wires do you have going to this cam sensor? Two or three?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The wires are wrapped but I do have three prongs that connect, if that helps. But i will go look to confirm.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
No.. this should work.. I take it you have a camshaft synchronizer?

If so, this may just be your problem... Have you inspected this synchronizer?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No I have not checked it. And yes it is 3 wires going into the sensor.

Again my ignorance the synchronizer how do i identify it and how do i check it?

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
NO worries.. there is a little tab or center piece that goes around when the engine is running. This is what the sensor picks up on. SOmetimes this will break and the whole synchronizer will need to be replaced. This so common in fact ford released a Technical Service Bulletin out about this problem. It is TSB number 02-22-1.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
I have found this TSB through google.

Click here