Chris (aka- Moose), Ford Technician
Experience:  16 years experience with Ford.
2499435

Ford Crown Victoria LX How do I remove and replace the ignition

Customer Question

How do I remove and replace the ignition switch on a 1999 Ford Crown victoria?
Category: Ford
Expert:  SuperDave replied 2 years ago.
insert the key in the ignition and turn it to the on position.Press the ignition switch lock cylinder release pin while pulling out the ignition switch lock cylinder.then pull out the switch.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did not identify an ignition switch cylinder lock cylinder release pin during my inspection to remove the lock cylinder. Can you be more specific?
Expert:  SuperDave replied 2 years ago.
you should see a small hole on the bottom.insert a very small screwdriver and push then the switch will release.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Let me back up to the original question: how do I remove and replace the ignition switch. I presumed that the switch is my problem. I already tried removing the lower portion of the plastic cover that covers the steering column. I need to remove the part the key goes into and inspect the linkage to the ignition switch. That's only part of the entire answer.

How do I continue to remove and replace the ignition switch?

What the problem is: the key just turns back and forth without activating anything. There is no on, start, off, or accessory clicks. The switch just moves freely with nothing happening. The car won't start.

Expert:  chris replied 2 years ago.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Hi there

-

I hope the pic above helps out,, a very common problem with this system , is the ignition actuators brake, they are the linkage between the ignition tumbler and the ignition switch , the parts are cheap , but its a lot of work to do --we can go back and forth on this page

Chris

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We are headed in the right direction. This is what I thought the problem was. However, it has been YEARS since I worked on an ignition switch problem. Back in the days before air bags. The battery is unhooked. Just how many steps does it take to solve this problem? I have more time than money.
Expert:  chris replied 2 years ago.

well the best thing to do is remove the whole steering column , and take it apart ware it tilts ,, remove the steering wheel, turn signal switch , clock spring , and remove the ignition switch , the shift lever tube , and then you can split the steering column in half at ware it tilts ,, then you can remove the two ignition actuators,, they are $15 each .. the only thing you have to remember is to remove the steering column with the wheel straight and install it the same way , and dont turn the clock spring .. its timed ...

-

you see the ignition actuators are held together by a little metal pin ,, and over time the pin falls out ,,

-

Chris

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This sounds like a job for a person who is more up to date on these "modern" vehicles than I am. Thanks anyway.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I'm Chris.
I will do my best to answer your question fast and accurate using the info you have provided. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

I agree Chris's answer is correct. He nor I has any control over how hard the task is to do which your asking to complete. All we can do is provide the assistance and looking over it, he looks to have done a good job. I feel he should be rewarded for his efforts