Bamaman39
Bamaman39, Ford Technician
Experience:  10 years ford experience, Ford Senior Master Diesel And Gasoline Tech
17239397

Ford Freestyle SE replacing rear brakes on 2006 ford freestyle.

Customer Question

replacing rear brakes on 2006 ford freestyle. The piston wont go in. first I tried to screw it in with pliers and then went to auto parts store and got tool but the piston is out so far the tool wont fit inot the caliper. The piston has come out futher if anything.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Bamaman39 replied 5 years ago.

Bamaman39 :

Thank you for using just answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX i will assist you today

Bamaman39 :

Hello

Customer:

hello Carl

Bamaman39 :

So the pistion will not go in? both sides or one?

Customer:

I haven't tried the other side just doing one wheel at a time

Bamaman39 :

Is it the passenger side?

Customer:

Yes

Bamaman39 :

Some of the car and vans go another direction. Look at the caliper and see if there is a arrow

Bamaman39 :

Ill look at the diagram amd see

Customer:

I am not with the car now but When I turned it with pliers both directions it wouldn't go in but came out a little farther

Bamaman39 :

Im looking at the workshop manuals for you now

Customer:

thanks

Bamaman39 :

ok i found it. here is what it says

Bamaman39 :

NOTE: To move the piston back into the caliper, the LH piston is turned clockwise and the RH piston is turned counterclockwise

Bamaman39 :

i have done alot of these. You have to push in very hard while turning it for it to start going in

Customer:

so I couldn't pull it out to far it should start going back in if I turn it the right direction

Bamaman39 :

That is tricky. before i knew how to do this i messed up and pushed it in without turning it. Messed up the caliper

Bamaman39 :

I would give it a shot. The tool you have go into the slots?

Customer:

havent done that yes the tool I have goes into the slot but the piston is out so far that I can't get the tool all the way in the caliper

Bamaman39 :

If you cannot get the tool in then try pressing it in a little bit to see if it will go in. If not it has came out so far you may have to replace it

Customer:

ok

Bamaman39 :

I have tried to rebuild on before and it didnt work out so good. To do this you must remove the caliper and take the pistion out. Then try to put everything back in but it may be less stress to get another one., Also be careful on pushing the piston in without turning it. It will damage the piston

Customer:

Ok thanks I will try it tomorrow if I have more questions about it tomorrow can I come back or do I have to pay again.

Bamaman39 :

You can come back. Just next time when you talk to me dont hit accept so you will not be charged again

Customer:

ok thanks