Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician

trouble with bleeding clutch master cylinder..bled and worked ok

having trouble with bleeding clutch master cylinder. purchased a new unit and installed. bled and worked ok for a while then i had to again bleed and add fluid. again lost the hydraulics. what did i do wrong ? or is there something else screwed up. no evidence of a fluid leak at the transmission. and the clutch , which is new, works without slipping as i would expect if fluid was leaking into the trany.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

Ok, couple of quick questions:

did you lose fluid between master cylinder replacements?

did you bench bleed the clutch master cylinder?

did you use the Ford factory bleeding directions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes bench bled don't have access to ford manuel and proceedures.
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

Ok, below are the specific procedures, which must be done or you will never get a good pedal and keep it. all parts stores will carry the coupling tool you need for this.

1. Disconnect the clutch pipe from the transmission using Coupling Tool T88T-70522-A or equivalent, by sliding the clutch white plastic sleeve toward the clutch release cylinder while applying a slight tug on the clutch pipe.graphic
  2. Clean dirt and grease from around the reservoir cap.
  3. Remove the cap and diaphragm and fill the reservoir to the step with clean DOT 3 or equivalent brake fluid from a closed container.
  4. Using a small flat bladed tool, depress the internal mechanism of the male coupling to open the valve. While continuing to hold the valve open, slowly depress the clutch pedal to the floor and hold.
  5. Remove the flat bladed tool from the coupling, closing the valve.
  6. Release the clutch pedal.
  7. Refill the reservoir to the step.

The reservoir must be kept full at all times to ensure that there will be no additional introduction of air into the system.

1. Repeat the above steps.
  2. Install the reservoir cap. Reconnect the clutch pipe to the clutch release cylinder. Check that the connection is secure by applying a slight tug to the clutch tube.
  3. Stroke the clutch pedal as rapidly as possible for 5 to 10 strokes.
  4. Wait 1 to 3 minutes.
  5. Repeat the stroking procedure at least 3 more times.
  6. Loosen the bleed screw (located in the clutch slave cylinder body next to the inlet connection).
  7. Depress and hold the clutch pedal while tightening the bleed screw.
  8. Refill the reservoir to the step.
  9. Check the operation of the clutch system.

I also want to give you the bench bleeding procedure so you can compare to how you did it and if needed, pull off and bench bleed and then do the overall bleed procedure above:

1. Start with the tube and reservoir attached to the clutch master cylinder, but the system removed from the vehicle. Lightly clamp the reservoir in a vise.
  2. Hold the clutch master cylinder vertically with the reservoir feed hose in the highest position on the body.
  3. Fill the reservoir and extend above the clutch master cylinder and make sure the quick connect on the clutch line is below the clutch master cylinder.
  4. Using a small screwdriver, depress the internal mechanism of the male quick connect coupling to open the valve.
  5. Stroke and fully depress and hold the push rod.
  6. Release the internal mechanism of the quick end connector and release the push rod.
  7. Fill the reservoir and repeat the above steps 4 more times.
  8. With the clutch master cylinder still being held with the outlet tube and reservoir feed tube ends high, quick connect closed and the reservoir full, push the push rod into the body several times quickly to expel any remaining air.
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

1. Disconnect the clutch pipe from the transmission using Coupling Tool T88T-70522-A or equivalent, by sliding the clutch white plastic sleeve toward the clutch release cylinder while applying a slight tug on the clutch pipe.
    graphic
    View Full Image
  6. Release the clutch pedal.
  7. Refill the reservoir to the step.

1. Repeat the above steps.
  4. Wait 1 to 3 minutes.
  8. Refill the reservoir to the step.