Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs

Ford Explorer 4x4 I have a grinding noise coming from the

Customer Question

I have a grinding noise coming from the front right wheel that gets louder with speed. What should I be looking for?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Justanswer,

My name is Ron and I am here to try and assist your with your question.

In most cases the type of noise your discribing is caused by a bad wheel bearing and you can not always fell it with no load on the bearing but you can hear it when the bearing is loaded. If you not feeling anything while turning the drive shaft and axle it most likely the bearing. It usually easier to check the bearing on the truck.Grasp each front tire at the top and bottom and move the wheel inward and outward while lifting the weight of the tire off the front wheel bearing. If the wheel (hub) is loose or does not rotate freely, install a new wheel hub.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have tried rotating the Wheel and Hub with the wheel mounted. Hub turns freely but spinning the wheel fast by hand I can hear a clicking sound increase as I increase speed of rotation. Would this be the axle?
Expert:  Ron replied 5 years ago.
Yes clicking is usually the axle, a bad bearing will have aither some play as well as a roughness to it .