Brad
Brad, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
5135651

im looking for the pinout for my yw7f-18c815-aa.

Customer Question

I'm looking for the pinout for my YW7F-18C815-AA. All I'm finding is wiring diagrams. I don't need a wiring diagram. It's wired just fine. What I want to know is the function of the 18 unused pins on the back of the unit. Can you help me with that?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Randall C replied 2 years ago.
Hello, My name is Randall. I will do my best to assist you.

Does you unit have 3 plugs? if so, I can send the pinouts for each plug if that is what you need
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It has 2 plugs: a "square" 20-pin (7/6/7) and a rectangular 16 pin ( 8 over 8). It's the factory unit w/the single CD changer.
Expert:  Randall C replied 2 years ago.
checking now as you know 5 different radio options. back shortly
Expert:  Randall C replied 2 years ago.
This is what I have, The 3rd plug option is for the subwoofer etc and is a 4/4 plug

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK Tracer, we're getting closer -- sort of. Remember, the question is what is the pinout for the YW7F-18C815-AA Audio unit (AM/FM/Single CD).

The C240b diagram you attached matches my wiring configuration with only 1 exception: on Pin #11, I have a ground for the 1204 Circuit (BK/OG) and I do not have a ground for the 1203 Circuit (BK/LB). Given what I'm up to, the difference is likely benign.

Looking at the C240a diagram, the only Pins in use on my unit are #9 (GY/BK) and #14 (YE). The other 18 are not used. (NOTE: by "in use" I mean that there is a wire going to that Pin, and it just so happens that the color coding is the same as on the diagrams you sent.)

So again, back to the original question: What are the unused Pins on the unit capable of doing?

What I'm looking to do specifically is to play an iPod through the car speakers.

I know I can find after market gizmos that will do the trick for about $150 to $200. I could also replace the whole unit w/one that already has a 3.5mm jack and a USB port for about half that price.

However, I'm not interested in throwing that much money at the project, and I really don't want to replace the unit. (Big hole in dash, retro fit headaches, learning new functions, etc. -- might as well text and drive.)

Clearly, somebody leaked the big secret of what the pinout is to the companies that are making the $200 after market gizmos. I want to know what they know so I can drop $30 @ the RadioShack for the parts to wire up my own gizmo and have a $170 left over to replace my blown left rear speaker and buy a tank of gas so I can drive around and enjoy the fruits of my labors.

You've gotten me closer for sure. I really hope you can take me the rest of the way. Given that I don't have a DVD in my vehicle, maybe one (or more) of your other 4 options will do the trick.

Thanks
Expert:  Randall C replied 2 years ago.
I see your response, Much more detailed than originally thought. I have to look atrote and see what i can help with. I will get back with you as quick as i can
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Awesome! Thanks Tracer!!
Expert:  Randall C replied 2 years ago.
checking. thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You still looking?
Expert:  Randall C replied 2 years ago.
No, I lost all internet last 2 days, just came back on. I now have to leave for weekend. Let me opt out and let another expert help with this. One should help shortly. Pls dont respond to me as it will ock question to me. Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Brad replied 2 years ago.
The $200 aftermarket units incorporate an amplifier which ties into the wires going directly to the speakers (the ipod doesn't put out enough wattage to get any kind of decent sound from automotive speakers which is why the amplifier is necessary).

In your audio unit the amplifier is integrated in the radio unit and there is no way to access this without disassembling the radio itself and making serious modifications to its circuit boards.

You're asking how to do the same with $30 worth of parts from radio shack but I'm not quite sure you'll be able to do it that cheap - especially without destroying the circuits that already exist and possibly frying the radio as well.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nice try Brad.

Remember, the question is:
"What is the pinout for my YW7F-18C815-AA?"

Did you notice that nothing you said had anything to do with my question? I appreciate your opinion, and I disagree with it. The aftermarket units do not incorporate amplifiers. They are nothing more than wiring adapters.