SuperBob
SuperBob, Ford Senior Master, Mazda Senior
Experience:  18 years Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda Dealer ASE master, diesel certified. Specialize electrical
17143921

Ford Explorer 4x4 2003 ford explorer wont start. Has new

2003 ford explorer won't start. Has new battery and is good. Has new ignition switch. The starter works fine when you attach a remote starter button to the starter silonoid. Starts right up then. But when you turn thr key to start nothing happens.
Category: Ford
Expert:  SuperBob replied 2 years ago.

Have you attempted to place the transmission shift lever in neutral and try to start? A failed transmission range sensor could cause this as the start signal from the ignition switch runs through the range sensor before it goes to the starter relay!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes that didn't work either. I did notice that it doesn't shift back and forth very easily. Didn't want to go back into park very well.
Expert:  SuperBob replied 2 years ago.

Check the fuses that I have indicated in the illustrations below.

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Already did that. They check out good.
Expert:  SuperBob replied 2 years ago.

Did you crank the engine while checking for power at the interior fuse also?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No I didn't
Expert:  SuperBob replied 2 years ago.

Try that with a twelve volt test light and see if power is making it to the fuse from the ignition switch

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just did and it is.
Expert:  SuperBob replied 2 years ago.

swap the two relays that I have indicated in the illustration below, and see if it starts

graphic

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Done and didn't start.
Expert:  SuperBob replied 2 years ago.
remove the starter relay again and place the probe of your test light in pin 85 (identified by looking on the bottom of the relay), clamp the test light clamp to the negative battery terminal and have an assistant crank the ignition and see if the test light illuminates
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok the test light came on.
Expert:  SuperBob replied 2 years ago.
Ok, check for power at all times to pin 30 at the same relay location and if there is power at this location at all times, take a jumper wire and directly jump pin 30 to pin 87 and see if the starter cranks while doing this
Expert:  SuperBob replied 2 years ago.
I have to leave and I understand that you need help now, so I am going to refer you to the best tech on the site! If he is online, I am sure he can get this figured out with you! We are very close!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok there is power to pin 30 at all times. I put in a jump wire between pin 30 and 87 and still no start. Now what?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Any more ideas?
Expert:  SuperBob replied 2 years ago.

That is telling me that there is an open circuit between the starter relay and the starter, as pin 87 runs directly to the starter, you will need to get down under the truck and locate the small wire that is attached to the starter solenoid! first check to see that it is attached to the starter securely, if it is then you will need to trace the wire back toward the location of the starter relay and look for a damaged wire and repair it, if you cannot locate the open circuit, you will need to access the under side of the relay box and run an (OVERLAY) new wire to replace this one as it is broken somewhere! The only other option is a new wiring harness which is very expensive!

graphic

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there ant chance the Transmission range sensor switch could be an issue?
Expert:  SuperBob replied 2 years ago.
No, because earlier when I had you test for power at pin 85 while cranking, you had indicated that there was power present at this location, and this is a circuit that provides power to the starter relay after the trans range sensor! You may need to go back and recheck to make sure you tested the correct pin!
Experience: 18 years Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda Dealer ASE master, diesel certified. Specialize electrical