Scott W.
Scott W., Ford Technician
Experience:  28 yrs. experience as Ford ASE Master Technician. Accolades include being a 2005 Ford PTS Regional Finalist and 2006 ASE Ford National Technician.

2005 f150: 4wd..50 mph..if you accelerate the problem goes..000 miles

i have a 2005 f150 4wd that tends to jerk or quickly hesitate when driving between 40 and 50 mph only while on a very slight uphill grade while maintaining speed. if you accelerate the problem goes away. the truck has 122,000 miles on it. I took it into a mechanic who said that he thought it was a spark plug issue due to the miles and not the tranny. He mentioned that this year of truck has 3 piece spark plugs that wear out and cause intermittance. He wants approximately $500 to change out the plugs due to them often breaking during removal. He said that he didn't feel it was the tranny. 4 weeks back I brought the truck in to him for a tranny flush. the fluid was black. he determined that it needed to be flushed twice and did so. I did notice the jerking problem before i brought the truck in to have it flushed however it seems to have gotton slightly worse over time. Is this an ignition problem or drive train problem?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Scott W. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name isXXXXX this does sound like a spark plug or coil on plug misfire, we use a oscilloscope to test the ignition and replace spark plugs or coils as needed, any more questions just ask, Thanks Steve W
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Does it concern you that this does not happen at other ranges of MPH?

Expert:  Scott W. replied 2 years ago.
Not really, a engine misfire will usually start happening under light tip in load like 40-50 mph in overdrive. When floored the mixture goes more richer and it takes less electricity to fire the plugs.
Scott W., Ford Technician
Experience: 28 yrs. experience as Ford ASE Master Technician. Accolades include being a 2005 Ford PTS Regional Finalist and 2006 ASE Ford National Technician.