Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician
3195632

2002 ford: liter running rough..popping..coil still have symptoms

Have a 2002 ford e250 4.2 liter running rough under acceleration(missing and ocasionally popping) pulled a code p0316. Replaced the coil still have symptoms and seems to be gatting worse?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.
Hi
here is te information on what it could be and test you can do.Thank you
Code Description
Misfire Occurred In First 1,000 Revolutions
P0316 Misfire Occurred In First 1,000 Revolutions
Possible CausesSetting Conditions
  • Repair any DTC P0136, P0156, P0171, P0172, P0175, P1130 and P1150 first.
  • Base engine problem
  • CKP sensor malfunction
  • Fuel System problem (dirty fuel injectors, poor fuel quality)
  • Ignition System problem
  • PCM has failed
  • Vehicle driven while very low on fuel (less than 1/8 of a tank)
Engine running; and the PCM detected a severe misfire within the first 1,000 engine revolutions. Check for any other CMC in memory. Repair these codes first!

This code sets in 2 Trip(s).
This code will turn on the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp)
Malfunction Indicator Lamp
The Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) alerts the driver that the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) or Transmission Control Module (TCM) has detected an OBD II emission-related component or system fault. When this type of malfunction occurs, an OBD Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) will be set. The MIL is located on the instrument cluster and is labeled CHECK ENGINE, SERVICE ENGINE SOON, or it is identified with the ISO standard engine symbol (which is a picture of an engine).
Prove-Out Test
The instrument cluster (IC) and other vehicle modules carry out a display prove-out to verify that all module controlled warning/indicator lamps and monitored systems are functioning correctly within the instrument cluster (IC). The instrument cluster (IC) and other modules such as the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) provide a timed prove-out while other indicators illuminate until engine start up. When the ignition switch is cycled to the "on" position with the engine off, the indicators illuminate to prove-out for 3 seconds.
Instrument Cluster (Gateway) Function
The instrument cluster (IC) acts as a gateway module by receiving information in one format and transmitting it to other modules using another format. For example, the instrument cluster (IC) receives the vehicle speed data from the PCM over the HS-CAN, converts the data into a MS-CAN message and sends (gateways) the message to other network modules such as the HVAC module, the tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS), the parking aid module (PAM), and the SJB. This enables network communication between modules that do not communicate using the same network (HS-CAN or the MS-CAN).

COMPONENT MONITOR DRIVE CYCLE INSTRUCTIONS
  • Do not turn off the ignition switch during the test procedure.
  • All Onboard System Readiness (OSR) codes are cleared when the battery is disconnected or when the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) is cleared with the Scan Tool.
  • This drive cycle can be used to determine if the Readiness code for this Monitor will run and complete, and if the MIL will remain off after the vehicle is driven.
  • Operating Ranges: Whenever a range of values is provided, try to operate the vehicle in the middle of the range. For example, if the vehicle speed range calls for 45-55 mph, operate the vehicle at as close as possible to 50 mph. Or if the engine speed should be 1,000-2,000 rpm, try to operate the engine at 1,500 rpm.
  • Scan Tool Data: There are certain Parameter Identification (PID) values that must be within range before this Monitor will "run". It can be helpful to pull up those PID items on the Scan Tool so an assistant can view them during testing.
  • The Readiness code for this Monitor defaults to "continuous" or "monitoring" because this Monitor runs continuously when the engine is cranking or running.
COMPONENT MONITOR PRETEST CONDITIONS
  • MIL is off.
  • No Emission related DTC's are present.
  • IAT sensor signal between 40-100ºF.
TEST PROCEDURE
  1. Connect the Scan Tool to the data link connector (DLC). Turn the key on and bring up the ECT PID and IAT PID on the Scan Tool. Verify that the IAT PID is between 40-100ºF.
  2. Use the Scan Tool to clear any stored DTC's and to reset the OSR Monitors. Note that DTC P1000 will appear once all of the trouble codes are cleared. Start the engine without turning off the ignition key. Allow the engine to run at idle speed for 15 seconds.
  3. Accelerate at part-throttle to 40 mph and maintain that speed until the ECT PID reaches 170ºF (77ºC). Bring the vehicle to a stop, and then allow the engine to idle with the transmission in Drive (in Neutral for M/T) for 2 minutes.
  4. Then accelerate at moderate throttle in Overdrive (if equipped with O/D) to 50 mph (80 km/h) and maintain that speed for 15 seconds. Bring the vehicle to a stop, change out of Overdrive, and then accelerate to 40 mph (64 km/h) and maintain that speed for 15 seconds. Bring the vehicle to a stop and allow the engine to idle for 15 seconds. Repeat this step at least 5 times.
  5. Check for any Pending codes in the Generic OBD II section of the Scan Tool. If no Pending codes are set, the Component Monitor test is complete. If any Pending codes are set, refer to the appropriate trouble code repair information to make the repair.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
just was told the thermostat was removed because it was stuck would this be related ?
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.
Hi
if the coolant temp sensor does not get the proper temp it could cause hard starting, stalling , and low power. It will be good to change that and try out the vehicle after that. if not fixed then go to the TBS I sent to you. Thank you
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician