Marty, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Certified. 20 years experience. Certified training in: driveability, electronics, etc.

2009 Ford F150: loud cam..ticking noise..passenger side of the motor

Customer Question

My 2009 Ford F150 has had loud cam phaser noise sense I bought it new I keep bringing it in to metropolitan ford mn but they tell me that is normal but it driving me nuts also a ping noise what can I do short of selling it and never buying a Ford again its got the 5.4 ffv v8 engine  its a ticking noise ! I noticed the noise is coming from a small canister looking thing attached to the tubes running along the top of the valve covers on the passenger side of the motor the canister about 2in across and 2 in high.and it attached above the tubes.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Don Knight replied 5 years ago.

Don Knight :

The cam phaser noise is NOT normal.If you call the parts department ask them how many they sell.i have done quite a few of these and yes the noise will stop anyone from buying your truck.The only special tool you need to change the phaser is a wedge to hold the timing chain in place.I made one from a small block of wood with a wire attached to pull it out when is replased the phaser.The ticking noise may be transfering from the phaser.Please let me know if you need more assistance,Don

I have a exstended warrantee from ford would this be covered.

I have only 9000 miles on this truck

Expert:  Marty replied 5 years ago.
Allow me to help in diagnosing your vehicle! If I helped make sure to hit ACCEPT button so as I can get credited.

It sounds like you are talking about the purge solenoid noise that is common on this Truck. Here is the TSB for this and look at the pictures that Iam sending to confirm the noise is coming from the same component. LINK1 Link2 It should be covered under your extended warranty.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the tubes and canister thing are both aluminam above valve covers like I said its on the passenger side.
Expert:  Marty replied 5 years ago.
The only tubes on the left side on this engine are the fuel injector rail and A/C lines. The injectors are noisy, you can try a injector cleaner. Other than that this purge solenoid that I had pointed out is a common concern for complaints of ticking noise.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  Marty replied 5 years ago.
That is the fuel rail pressure sensor and is on the drivers side. take a look at the links I sent you earlier and see if the noise is from the component in those pictures. The FRP will not make this noise.
Marty, Ford Technician
Experience: Ford Senior Certified. 20 years experience. Certified training in: driveability, electronics, etc.