Steve
Steve, Ford Technician
Experience:  25 years working for Ford dealer. Ford Master tech.
43460220

ford f-350: wheels..hub..nut holding the bearings as well as the seals

Customer Question

Trying to replace the rear drum brakes on a ford f-350 with a full floating rear axle . Have the wheels off and the axle removed. does the drum brake hub slide over the axle housing? it looks like its all one piece and I'll need some special tools to remove that nut holding the bearings as well as the seals. the pictures I have show the drum sliding over the axle hub so you wouldn.t even need to remove the axle? what are the shop hours to do this. I already have an idea of the cost of the parts. thanks Peter
Category: Ford
Expert:  Anthony replied 2 years ago.
Hello! Welcome to justanswer!

Ok the bearing locking nut has to come off. use a hammer and chisel to loosen it. Then take off the actual nut that holds the bearing then the whole drum and bearing will slide right off. the labor is about 3.5 hours to do a job like this. It's not an easy job but do able. Also both the nuts turn counter clockwise to loosen them.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
While I've been known to use a hammer and chisel this doesn't look like the place for it, I see a tool t85t-4252-ah listed in one book , are you saying chisel the new nut on??? It would require a very thin walled socket of maybe 2 1/2 inches. Thanks Peter
Expert:  Anthony replied 2 years ago.
Yes or get the tool. If you cant get the tool. a chisel works well.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  Anthony replied 2 years ago.
How much more quality do you need?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just can't beleive you can turn that nut inside that hub and peload the bearings correctly
Expert:  Anthony replied 2 years ago.
Then buy the socket if you cant use a chisel to do it...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Justanswer,

My name is Steve and I am here to try and assist your with your question

to remove the rear drums you will need a special socket

Remove brake drum retaining nuts. and the drum will come off.

labor to remove and reinstall the rear brake drums is 2.5 hrs for both sides

let me know if you have any other questions if not

please click the green accept button on my answer or this answer to your question thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The only pictures I have is in a 87-88 chiltons book page 419. it refers to a 10.25 ford full floating axle and shows the brake drum sliding over the axle hub where you wouldn't even have to mess with the axle at all. The problem is the chiltons picture doesn't match exactly whats on my truck. Are the axles different in the 81?. I looked on E bay for a picture of the drum and at least what they had pictured would slide over the axle hub. Thanks Peter
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
you will need to get the special socket and remove the nut and the drum will slide off the axle after the nut is removed. you will need to remove the bolts that hold the drivshaft in the rear end pull it out and then remove a nut and the drum will slide off.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I see that one special tool T85T4252-AH, but before that you have to remove a large retainer or seal type nut, it looks like a very large thin walled socket greater than 2 inches would work. is there a special tool for that? what is the actual size of the "nut", I don't think a regular socket would fit because its to thick. Also when you say driveshaft do you mean axle? Thanks Peter PS I guess your saying the rear axles are different 81 to 87
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
Yes they are different and you need a special thin walled socket. once the nut is removed you can slide the driveline off. I am talking about the the shaft that goes through the tube of the rear end
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I guess it's my fault for putting more than one question in each response..........What SIZE socket do I need.............The "nut" is in there far enough so I can't measure it. Kastar sells 2 1/2 ..2 9/16...2 5/8....all listed as axle nut sockets. I wanted to order the correct one. Thanks Peter
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
Sorry but it has been a very long time since I have done a van of that vintage and I do not remember the size.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well it's a F-350, 1981 with the dana 60 full floating axles. I'm having a heck of a time finding out the size so I don't have to order multiple sockets. I thought for sure with your background and titles you would have a factory workshop manual or know someone who does. A ford tool number? or something. Where can I find out?????? would anybody on this website know????
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Forget it , I found the size (2-9/16) and a good description of the job on the web . I guess I was asking google the wrong question .Thats where I should have looked first. Thanks anyhow. Peter
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
unfortunately with a vehicle that old there are no shop manuals and it has been a very long time since i worked on a 81