Steve
Steve, Ford Technician
Experience:  30 years working for Ford dealer. Ford Master tech.
43460220

2001 explorer: v8 -i drove it this morning &..park..ignition switch

Customer Question

hi there! i have 2001 explorer, v8 -i drove it this morning & when i put it in park & cut it off, I pulle the key out, noticing that the ignition switch was very loose. the engine stopped, but the radio stayed on as well as lights on the dash. electric windows etc. still worked. i purchased the ignition switch from an auto part store & replaced that. now it is still doing the exact same thing. i had to disconnect the battery to kill the eletricity. there is an anti-theft system - could this have anything to do with it? do i need a special tool or to have some sort of key code? or could the ignition switch not even be the problem?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.

Steve :

Hello and Welcome to Justanswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question

Customer:

hi steve

Steve :

the rod that goes from the ign swict tumbler to the ign switch is ok but there is a plastic piece that breaks and does not allow the ign switch to turn off

Customer:

where is that located?

Steve :

to repaire you will need to remove the steering coulmn and take the whole assembly apart and repaire the broken plastic

Customer:

is that a job for a mechanic or can the average joe do this? lol

Steve :

once you have removed the steering coulmn and disasembled the entire assembly you will see a broken plastic that a pins go through

Steve :

I would suggest a mechanic it is difficult to repair with a lesser mechanic

Steve :

if you know what I mean

Steve :

I would recomend a very qulified mechanic to repaire it it is a very difucult job to repaire

Customer:

ok, i gotcha - thank u

Steve :

your welcome

Steve :

please hit the green accept button so I may get credit thanks