Tim
Tim, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master tech, ASE certified
9591582

Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer Advance Trac issues

Just recently had a new GPS system installed in my 2003 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer along with a remote starter and rearview camera. While leaving the installer's lot, the Advance Trac light started to flash in the dash and the car then proceeded to slow down for a second or two while the breaks were vibrating making some grinding noise. After about 3 or 4 seconds the message "CHECK ADVTRAC" appeared on the screen and the car drove normally after that but has done the same thing on subsequent start ups. The installer stated that he took the vehicle to a mechanic who hooked the truck up to a computer and stated that there was something wrong with the steering wheel control system. He stated that nothing that they did during installation of the aftermarket equipment could have caused this but I am not sure considering that they did have to connect and re-direct wires. Never had any problems like this out of this vehicle before. Unsure what to do or what the cause could be.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim replied 2 years ago.
I would have some one else look at the vehicle.When they look at the wiring they should be able to tell if the installer tapped into the worng wire or left something off, That way you will know if they messed it up or not.To hook up remote starts most require hooking up in the steering column and that is were the wires for the steering controls run
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Should I take it to the dealer or would a local mechanic be able to find out.
Expert:  Tim replied 2 years ago.

Which ever you trust most.I would recommend dealer since they know what it should be when right and will be able to fix it properly.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If the dealer determines that the wiring is connected properly, what could explain the issue with the advance trac.
Expert:  Tim replied 2 years ago.
than it is possible fluke but I am with you and think that something was hooked up wrong. The dealer should be able to tell if what they did caused it and if it is possible that if the wiring is right than what caused the problem.
Tim, Ford Technician
Experience: Ford Senior Master tech, ASE certified