A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

1998 E350: My Heater/ac fan stopped..amp fuse..getting power

Customer Question

My Heater/AC fan stopped in my 1998 E350 and the 50 amp fuse is good, what is the next probable cause of this issue and also how do I get to the fan switch to see if it is getting power?
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.I will try my best to help you with your question.

More than likely it is the blower motor itself.

Go to the blower motor under the hood on the passenger side behind the battery. Unplug the blower motor and turn the blower switch to on. See if you are getting 12 volts on the Orange wire. Then, using the Orange wire for power, test the Black/Orange striped wire for ground. Set the meter for voltage and turn the blower speed switch from low to high. The voltage should change and get greater all the way to 12 volts when on high speed. If all this test out, the blower motor is the problem.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
THERE IS NO 12 VOLTS TO THE CONNECTOR?

Ok. Go to the engine bay fuse box and locate the blower motor relay. Remove it and turn the blower switch on. You should have power on 2 pins in the opening for the relay.

Below is the wiring diagram.

CLICK HERE FOR DIAGRAM

The blower motor relay is "H" in the diagram. You should have power on the 2 pins I have circled.

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Which relay there are 6 of them?

I have circled it in the picture I posted. Below is the picture again. The Blower motor relay is circled in red.

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I only have 12 volts on one pin, it's the center pin of the 3 pins going in the same direction.
Ok. Turn the AC on and see if the AC compressor comes on. Also check fuse #13 in the dash fuse box. Make sure it has power on both sides of the fuse when it is in the fuse box. There are test spots on the top of the fuse. You can test it while it is still installed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think you nailed it, this fuie is blown, but why is it called a Blend Door Actuator, Function Selector Switch fuse?

I am back in town and tried the AC & the fan and nothing happens???

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I amj back in town now and tried the A/C & the fan and nothing is happening. I mhave made an appointmentn with Ulhmann Ford in Chehalis, WA on Saturday at 9:30 AM to repair this issue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am back in town now and tried the A/C & the fan and the Blend Door Actuator Fuse #13 15 amp, blow after the AC was on for a few seconds.