Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Ford Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector & Ford Diagnostics/Repair
18617752

Ford Escape Limited check fuel cap light continues to come

check fuel cap light continues to come on after replacing gas cap with ford cap., then check engine light comes on. Any ideas of why this is happening with ford factory gas cap now installed?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is DriveFast71(Ron) and I will do my best to answer all of your questions completely and accurately.

When the Check Fuel Cap light comes on, this can mean more than "just" a faulty Fuel Cap. When this is the case, the Check Engine Light is usually close behind. This is a sign that there is a problem in the EVAP (emissions control) system. Unfortunately, there are literally dozens of parts/sensors in the EVAP system that, when faulty, can set these lights. The only way to get our starting point, is to have the "p-codes" (diagnostic trouble codes) retrieved from the on-board computer. Most local "big chain" parts store (like AutoZone) will read these codes for Free (except in CA). Once you have these p-codes, you now have a starting point and can more accurately and efficiently diagnose the problem, and then make the repair. Very commonly, this is a problem in a solenoid or valve in the system, but again, we'll need to know which one, as replacing parts at random will get very expensive and fustrating very quickly.