chris
chris, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master -Ford senior master-20 years experience
9504203

Re 2006 F150 Ford Pickup--Power mirror malfunction. The mirrors

Customer Question

Re: 2006 F150 Ford Pickup--Power mirror malfunction. The mirrors come in and out but unable to adjust. Checked 7.5 fuze and purchased new switch--problem continues
Category: Ford
Expert:  chris replied 3 years ago.

Hi there

you have replaced the power mirror switch and the fuse for the power mirrors is good,,,, so can you explain what the power mirrors do if anything,, they only go up and down ,, they only go side to side,, and do both mirrors do the same thing ,,,,we can go back and forth on this page

Chris

Expert:  chris replied 3 years ago.

if the power mirrors do not adjust at all then there is a common problem of a wire braking in the left front door jam ,, open the drivers door and look at the door hinges ,,there you will see a rubber boot that the wires for the door run through ,, pop the boot off on both side and use a razor blade to cut some tape away from the boot so you can see the wires in it ,, find the orange/light green wire and pull on it ,,see if its broken ,, this is the main power wire for the power mirrors,,, if its broken , then to make the repaire easy , use a four inch piece of wire and two but connectors to make the repaire and join the two wires together ..

Chris

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Let check out your answer--will go outside and check right now.
Expert:  chris replied 3 years ago.

ok

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Chris, I checked for broken wire at the door and at the switch itself. No evidence of broken or frayed wire. I assume it will take qualified technician to check for breakdown of power source to switch,i.e. if you have no other suggestion.
Expert:  chris replied 3 years ago.

well , if you have a test lamp or volt meter and you test the fuse for the power mirror and it has power ---then move to the power mirror switch and check that Orange/green wire at the power mirror switch conector and there is no power there,, then its a VERY common problem to get a brake in this wire in the drivers door jam ,,, sometimes you have to pull on the wire hard to see it its broken ,,sometimes the metal inside the wire brakes but the insulation around it does not,, so pulling on the wire will brake it the rest of the way or it way feel spongy ,,, but thats all i can add, you may want to take another look at it

Chris

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Chris, if I understand you correctly--THE WIRE IS THE PROBLEM. There is no way I could have some sort of electric motor problem is there? I am going to take the damn thing to Ford, and you might know, my extended warranty just expired. Forgive my ignorance.
Expert:  chris replied 3 years ago.
correct ,, well lest start over ,,, if your power mirrors are inop , both of them ,, and you checked the fuse and the fuse is good and it has power to it ,,,then move to the power mirror switch ,, unplug it and see if that orange/green wire on the conector has power or not ,, if it does not ,,then there is a very common problem with that wire braking in the door jam boot ,,,, and some times the wire does not look broken ,, but its broken inside of it ,, and to tell if its broken ,sometimes you have to pull or yank on it , hard ,, if it does not brake , then the wire is good, if it does brake then this is your problem ,,, so access that rubber boot inbetween the door and body and find that wire in it and give it a good yank ,, if it does not brake ,, then the wire is good,,,,, and the only other thing it could be is a open in the interior fuse box , its rare but it does happen
chris, Ford Mechanic
Experience: ASE Master -Ford senior master-20 years experience
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Chris, do not know if I know enough about this computer to get a msg 2 u. I got the Ford fixed today--$338.00 later. You were correct about the wire. It was not in the door or the boot but farther into the interior of the truck. Looking at the invoice, it appears the cost was all labor with exception of $38.00 hazardous waste disposal. Work is guaranteed for 12 months or 12,000 miles.
Expert:  chris replied 3 years ago.
I work at a Ford dealer in AZ, and I would have charged you 2 to 3 hours to find this problem , and thats at $125 per hour ,, so the bill sounds correct -- its to bad the open was in the most common spot in that door jam and we could of fixed it together .