Ford expert
Ford expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 yrs,experience shop owner,
22989858

My locked door, I accidently hit the panic button on my fob..horn

Customer Question

While trying to open my locked door, I accidently hit the panic button on my fob. The horn went on and I hit the panic button again (only once) but the horn remained on. I opened the door and started the car. According to the manual, turning the ignition key is supposed to silence the horn, but the horn remained on. I started the car but the horn would remain on for about 2 minutes, go off for about 1 minute and back on until I got home. I turned off the ignition and removed my key and the horn became silent. I opened the door and the horn went back on for three minutes. Tomorrow morning (Monday) I will drive to my Ford dealer. Should I tell them to permanently disable the FOB panic button?
Category: Ford
Expert:  chris replied 2 years ago.

Hi there

-

Sounds like there is a problem with the system , the system should turn off when you hit the panic button again or if you hit the unlock button ,, you can also turn off the system by useing the key in the door .. we can go back and forth on this page

Panic Alarm

The panic alarm feature provides audible and visual alarms which are evident
from the exterior of the vehicle. The panic alarm feature requests that the turn
signals are flashed and the horn sounds until deactivation. The flashing of the
outputs occurs simultaneously. Activation of the panic alarm is accomplished by
pressing the panic button on a RKE transmitter whenever the key is
in the OFF position. At all other times this feature is disabled. Deactivation
of an active PANIC alarm is accomplished by any of the following actions:

• a second press of the panic button
  • the ignition switch is switched out of the OFF position
  • a period of 2 minutes and 45 seconds has elapsed since the initial
    activation

Chris

Expert:  chris replied 2 years ago.
there is no way to disconect the system , it will have to be repaired
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Did not answer my question
Expert:  chris replied 2 years ago.

there is no way to permenatly disconect the system , so they will have to repair it , there is something wrong with it if it did not shut off

Chris

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

How can I disable the panic buttons on both of my fob keys?

Expert:  chris replied 2 years ago.
well, I have been working at a Ford dealer for over 21 years and i never had this question before , you want to take both your ford remote fobs apart and disable the panic button ,, well I guess there is a first for everything ,, i would have the system repaired,, but if you want to do this ,,, first remove the keys from any key ring, and then use a flat bladed screw driver to pop open the key fob, is splits into two halves ,, then you can access the printed cercut board for the button ,, use a side cutter and cut the part of the board off for the panic button switch and then put the fob back together .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What is a side cutter? Can I use a box cutter knife?
Expert:  chris replied 2 years ago.
side cutter,, wire cutter, same thing ,, yes you can also use a knife and scrape away the solder lines going to the panic button on the cercut board ,, this will make a open in the cercut and the button will not work,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,are you sure you wan to do this ,???,,,you might mess it up and then its $80 for a new key fob
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am concerned that I might mess it up. But, similar problems with this defective panic button feature have happened to me many times in the past. The last time, my Ford dealer did not give me a good answer. It is very embarrasing when this happens. I want to make absolutely sure that this never ever ever happens again. What can I do?

Expert:  chris replied 2 years ago.

well you in a very small population , I have never heard of anyone having problems with the panic button on any ford unit , since ford came out with it,,but my wife has the same remote ,,so let me pop it open and see if there is a easy way --give me 5 min

Expert:  chris replied 2 years ago.

ok,, looks like i was wrong ,, my wife has a 2011 Expedition , and the remote fob key is the same as yours ,, and when you pop off the cover for the remote ,, you can only access the battery and remove it ,, you can see a little bit of the green cercut board but its sealed in the fob and you can not remove it ,, two or three years back you could take out the cercut board and mess with it in the ford remotes,,,,but you cant now .. so there is no way to mess with remote to disable the panic function ,,and there is no way to disable it in the car ,,, looks like you are going to have to learn to not push it by accident

Chris

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I have opened my fob and I cannot find "the solder lines" goin to the panic button.
Expert:  chris replied 2 years ago.
did you read my post ? you cant get to the cercut board ???????????
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I appreciate your effort, but your answers have not helped me solve the problem. I do not think that I should be charged the $38.
Expert:  chris replied 2 years ago.

I understand it hard to pay $38 for a answer to such a odd question ,, I will opt out of this question and see if someone else has any help for you

Thanks

Chris

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Chris told me that he has "opted out". How can I get my $38 back?
Expert:  Ford expert replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to just answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. I have to agree with Chris do not tried to modify the Key FOB, take the vehicle into the dealer tomorrow and have them reprogram or RE flash the system. Apparently you have a glitch in the programming and this should take care of it. If you want to try something tonight on your own try doing a complete system reset by disconnecting the battery and touching the two battery cables together for 30 seconds this will completely discharge and reset all the modules in the vehicle then reattach the battery and see if the problem still persists. You may still need to have it reprogrammed to cure your problem. There is no way to disable the panic button.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is no way that I am going to " disconnect the battery and touch the two battery cables together" and risk electrocution. This is an unacceptable answer. What do I have to do to prevent this from ever happening again?
There's no way to get electrocuted, I did not say to cross the battery terminals on the battery I said disconnect the battery cables they're not attached to anything or any power source there's nothing there to electrocute. The way to fixes properly is to do what I told you take it to the dealer and have them reprogram or RE flash the modules
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You have told me to "take it to the dealer". If you look at my original post - that it was I was going to do in the first place. Your response is not helpful or acceptable. As I stated in my responses, what I really want to know is "how can I make sure that this never ever happens again?"