John Mc
John Mc, Ford Technician
Experience:  19 years Ford Lincoln Mercury experience
7591113

2004 ford Taurus: the DPFE sensor keeps melting..converters..egr valve

I have a 2004 ford Taurus the DPFE sensor keeps melting. I had the converters replace on the car because they were plugged up. The egr valve appears to be working correctly. Myself and my mechanic are dumb founded to what the problem is. I really need some help on this. The car only has 83000 moles. Thanks Jim
Category: Ford
Expert:  John Mc replied 2 years ago.

John Mc :

Hi, I am John Mc, a Ford dealer tech. I hope I can help you quickly and accurately. One moment while I work on your problem.

John Mc :

The only thing that causes a dpfe to melt is excessive back pressure. Which cats did you replace?

Customer:

The main big one was replaced and the others dumped out. I also had a trush muffler put on. The system is breathing just fine.

John Mc :

If you have no cats in the fronts this may be why.

John Mc :

Are you worried about the check engine light since you have no cats in the front?

Customer:

We put the computer on it after the light came on and it said not enough pressure in the cats

John Mc :

I think you need to go back with stock cats, all three and this should solve your problem. Since you have eliminated the cats you have changed the flow characteristics of the entire system and this may be what is causing your problem.

Customer:

Let me tell you thecar was doing fine around town for 2 weeks. We drove to oklahoma city which is about 85 mile and it melted on the way back.

John Mc :

Long trip with extended driving with the changes. Since your check engine light is going to stay on anyway I would just plug up the dpfe and not worry about it. It should not effect the way it drive at all.

Customer:

Is there any code we can put in the system to make the check engine light go off?

John Mc :

No, for two reasons, first you don't have cats, next because of the dpfe. All you could do is remove the bulb.

John Mc :

If this answer has been helpful to you please help me by accepting. This is how I receive credit for helping you today!

Also if you need further assistance for this problem after accepting feel free to ask a
follow up and I'll be glad to help.

Thanks,
John Mc

If you need me and it says I am not in chat it is ok. I get a message as soon as you respond so I can come right back.

Customer:

So if we plug the two steel lines off we will be good to go with out any future problems?

John Mc :

Yes it will be fine.

John Mc :

Not exactly the perfect repair, but we do what we must :)

Customer:

I thank you for your quick response to this. It has solved the problem. Have A great day. AQlso the cars fuel milage went up aroud 3 mile to the gallon since we opened up the exhaust system. Car runs great.

John Mc :

Glad to help!!

John Mc :

Any further questions? If not and if I have been helpful please help me by accepting. This is how I receive credit for helping you today.

Thanks,
John Mc

John Mc, Ford Technician
Experience: 19 years Ford Lincoln Mercury experience