Pavlin Koev
Pavlin Koev, CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN
Experience:  17 YEARS HANDS ON EXPERIENCE, TRUCK&COACH TECHNICIAN LICENCE
41577536

1995 f350: engine on, pedal falls to floor and returns very slowly.

Customer Question

1995 f350 brakes. engine off good hard pedal. engine on, pedal falls to floor and returns very slowly. replaced everything except proportioning valve and booster. nothing has helped.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pavlin Koev replied 3 years ago.

Pavlin Koev :

Hi and Welcome to Just Answer! My name is Pavlin and I will do my best to help.

Customer :

ok

Pavlin Koev :

when you say everything, does this includes rear brake shoes

Customer :

yes, and cylinders and drums. new calipers & lines in front.

Pavlin Koev :

I am asking because if rear shoes are out of adjustment is can do that.

Customer :

and a new master cylinder

Pavlin Koev :

is it you doing the job or garrage?

Customer :

me

Pavlin Koev :

when bleeding the system, do you have engine running?

Customer :

yes

Pavlin Koev :

bleeding must start with the wheel which has the longest line. Rear passenger side

Pavlin Koev :

then rear left

Pavlin Koev :

front passenger and drivers front last

Customer :

thats what we did, using speed bleeders

Pavlin Koev :

if you have good pressure, and read shoes are adjustet well, then problem is most likely in rear ABS valve

Pavlin Koev :

look in inner frame under drivers seat

Customer :

we bled abs valve also. is there a way to test it?

Pavlin Koev :

you can reroute the lines and by-pass it . but they have are known to cause problems like this due to internal leaks,

Pavlin Koev :

if you will have brakes after by-passing it, then you know what is going on.

Customer :

we did that and nothing changed

Pavlin Koev :

Then you are havong bad muster cylinder

Customer :

have tried 3 new master cylinders

Pavlin Koev :

did you match the part number from the old one to the one you have purchased? remove muster and check pushrod from brake booster lengt.

Pavlin Koev :

measure protrusion of pushrod and then master cylinder hole dept.

Pavlin Koev :

when master is bolted to brake booster it should be bearly touching the pushrod.

Customer :

made up a guage according to manual, 0.995 inch, and adjusted pushrod according to gauge

Pavlin Koev :

check the dept of the master and compare with you gage

Customer :

did that, it is just touching

Pavlin Koev :

if you crimp brake line to rear brakes what happens?

Pavlin Koev :

crimp brake hose

Pavlin Koev :

to isolate rears

Customer :

did not try. can i safely crimp with pliers the rear hose from frame to the T on axle?

Pavlin Koev :

yes, just use somthing to protect the hose from damaging

Customer :

can we try this and come back to you?

Pavlin Koev :

yes

Customer :

how do i do that? hit save & exit?

Pavlin Koev :

yes

Customer :

thank you

Pavlin Koev :

you are welcome